24

One of the men undid the straps and let me out before violently grabbing me by the arm and going out the door, following the other. The one in front had his gun up as we swiftly moved down the hall until the sound of gunshots went off.  I was pulled down behind a wall, and I instinctively covered my ears. Whoever was shooting was nearby.

"Over here!" a woman's voice yelled from the distance.

"Shit, we've got to get to the emergency hideout!" The man holding me said.

"No, we've got to get out!" the other argued.

"The hideout is closer, and there's more weapons there we can use!"

"Fine, I'll hold them off while you take her then!" he directed, moving around us and taking out the cattle prod he attached to his belt. He then went out and started shooting, signaling the man holding me to make a run for it, yanking me to go with him.

We both ran and turned a corner to go into another room, but not before I heard a scream coming from where we just were. I stood in this new room, full of boxes with weapons, food, and various supplies along the walls, leaving the center empty. The man finally let go of me, and went to one of the boxes to dig through it. I stood there, unsure whether to make a run for it or not given bullets were flying out there and I had no idea what was really going on.

Suddenly, there was another booming sound and the room shook even more meaning it was even closer. Some boxes began to fall, including one right above the man who took me here. I gasped as he collapsed to the ground, shocked. After a moment, I realized he wasn't moving to get up; he had been knocked out.

I stared at him, figuring that was my sign to get out. I grabbed a gun from one of the boxes, having never used one but needed something to protect myself. I then slowly opened the door and peaked out, not seeing anyone.  I stepped out, carefully going down the hall and realizing I had no idea where I was going. But as I walked, I found where the bomb went off by the destruction done to the now nonexistent walls. I scanned the area, knowing someone had to be close. I heard footsteps to my right and froze, my heart somehow beating even faster with fear. Someone was right around the corner, and I'm pretty sure they know I'm here too since it was completely silent now.

I held the gun up and inched forward until a figure jumped in front up me and I screamed, pulling the trigger. I couldn't pull the trigger all the way though, and nothing came out. 

"Katie?" I realized who was standing in front of me now.

"Jason!" I exclaimed, running and embracing him. I felt his arms wrap around me, but I couldn't help but wince in pain as he applied pressure to my side where I had not only been zapped by the cattle prod, but beaten.

Jason noticed and immediately let go, taking a look at me and frowning. "Oh my God, Katie...I...I'm so sorry...I didn't realize...I tried to get here..." he stuttered in shock.

I shook my head, cutting him off. "I know, I know! And it's okay, you're here now!" I assured him, feeling my eyes well up with tears.

Jason's eyes then moved down to the gun. "Good thing your safety was still on," he joked since I likely would have shot him.

I lifted the gun, looking at it too and chuckled. "Yeah...I've never used one of these," I admitted, even though it was obvious.

"Remind me to teach you!" he said, and I gave a nod. He took the gun from me, switching the safety off before handing it back to me. "For now, just do your best to aim. All my gang members are in uniform, so just don't shoot them," he directed, kissing my forehead. "Now let's get out of here!"

I followed Jason, hearing distant gunshots and yelling. I noticed we were going towards a hole one of the bombs made that led to the outside, and I grew excited to finally be out. Jason suddenly stopped me by holding his arm out right before a corner and peaking out. There was then a gunshot and Jason jolted back behind the wall for a moment, then going back around and shooting a few bullets back. There was silence as Jason watched, then gave a nod for us to go out.

We made it outside and I finally knew what time of day it was: dusk. There was a clearing and a bunch of cars parked out, where I'm guessing we're heading towards. We started running to the cars, but there was suddenly another gunshot and Jason let out a groan and held his arm in pain.

"Jason!" I exclaimed, reaching out but stopping at the sound of another gunshot.

Jason grabbed me with his good arm, pulling me behind the nearest car. I fell to the ground beside him, breathing hard from running mixed with my adrenaline flying through the roof. 

"You're not getting away that easily, brother!" Jason and I simultaneously looked up and peaked through the car windows to see not only the person who shot Jason, but was the root of all out problems: Alex.