17

"Let's go," a gang member directed, taking my left wrist as I walked over.

I resisted, trying to pull away. "What are you doing?" I questioned, making him yank my wrist and put a handcuff on it.

"You're moving to another room," he said bluntly, reaching for my right wrist but I moved it away ad tried to get out of his grip. Unfortunately, he still held my left wrist and squeezed the cuff tighter, causing me to wince in pain just long enough for him to grab my other wrist and put me in handcuffs behind my back. "They warned me you were a fighter," he grunted, practically flinging me out the door.

We walked out and immediately went to the stairs, walking down as far as we could go before entering through another door. There was a hall with some more doors in the basement, everything bare and gray. We stopped at one door and the man pulled out keys to unlock it before pushing me in. Before I knew it, he closed the door behind me but didn't follow so I was all alone. I looked to the middle of a room where a single chair sat and a single wall with a mirror. Was Alex keeping me in some sort of weird prison cell now?

"Why don't you sit down?" A voice was suddenly broadcasted in the room somehow.I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, looking around for the source of the sound. It was definitely Alex's voice. I then noticed a speaker in a corner of the room above the mirror, making my eyes travel down to the mirror. Was he behind there? I mean, why else would a mirror be in here? "Go ahead, sit," he repeated. I moved over to the chair and did as I was told, still wondering what was going on. I stared straight into the mirror, only seeing myself but knowing he had to be behind there. "You like the one way mirror?" he confirmed my assumptions.

"What's going on?" I ignored his question.

"Nothing, just thought I'd film a little video for Jason," Alex answered.

"A video?" I repeated him, unsure and a bit worried what he meant.

"Just need to let Jason know I actually have you, send a message. So just say how I have you trapped here, how scared you are...or you could just cry!" he suggested.

"I'm not going to cry," I shut him down.

"Why not? You can't make yourself cry?" he guessed.

"I don't feel like crying."

"Well, I could make you feel like crying!"

I glared even though I couldn't even see him. "I want to talk to Jason," I demanded.

"Oh you can talk to him, just not directly. Not yet at least."

The anger inside me began to build from his condescending tone. "Is this all just some game to you?" I asked.

"Very much! I've always loved messing with my brother, making him squirm," he gushed. I sat there in silence now, not wanting to speak to him any longer. "So go on, give Jason a little message! I'm recording, don't worry," he encouraged.

I thought about what I could even say, especially in front of Alex. I didn't want him to hear me sound emotional, but I also wanted Jason to know that I missed him. I took a deep breath and just looked right ahead, not knowing where else to look. "Jason...I want you to know I'm okay. Your brother has me, but he hasn't hurt me. I don't know what he's planning, but I do know that...you'll find me, just like always. And I just hope you do soon..." I hesitated before adding, "And I miss you."

There was about a minute of silence afterwards, Alex probably finishing the video and ending the recording. His voice the came on once again, "Not bad. Could've used more emotion, but I think that should do."

"When can I talk to him?" I asked, ignoring his terrible humor.

"Well see how he complies to my demands," Alex answered simply. There was another minute of silence before the door suddenly opened again, revealing Alex. I stared at him, not knowing what to do. I still had the handcuffs on, and I wasn't sure what he wanted. "Ready to go back to your room?" he asked.

"This was it?" I questioned suspiciously.

"I'm not going to hurt you, if that's what you're wondering," he replied. I continued to stare, not trusting him. He sighed, "I only brought you here for the video. I don't want Jason knowing you're in a comfortable room."

"You want him to think you're not treating me well?"

Alex shrugged, "Makes him more anxious and willing to act quicker." It made sense, but I remained cautious as I stood up and walked over. "Things will only be difficult if you make them that way," he added, then nodding his head for me to follow him back. "Like if you ever try running, I have guard prepared with tranquilizers."

"Tranquilizers?" That was new.

"I don't want to kill you, Katie. In fact, I need you alive. Otherwise I lose my leverage with Jason," he explained as we walked up the stairs. "And now knowing you can fight, it's better to just knock you out."

"So you're not going to hurt me?" I assured.

"Not unless things get desperate. And I'd like avoid that, wouldn't you?" he turned to face me once we reached the door to my original room. I didn't respond, still processing but also unsure what exactly desperate meant for him. If it meant Jason was here and Alex was desperate to keep me here, then of course I'd want that because Jason would likely get me and escape. But desperate as in Jason calling his bluff and he needed real proof I was hurt? "I'll have food sent up shortly," Alex notified when he realize I wasn't going to answer. He then moved me forward and took my handcuffs off before locking me back in the room.