22

The next day was too quiet. Nothing happened, no one came in, and I wasn't even given any food or my medication.  It was strange how the act of nothing could make me so nervous. Alex must be planning something though, and something bad.

After that strange, quiet day, things were normal again as I was given my medication and meals. I still hadn't seen Alex, but I was okay with that, especially after our last encounter. I had never seen so much anger in him before, his eyes were dark and I had bruises from his grip. It was the first time I was truly scared of him, and what he would do.

When it was later in the day, Alex finally showed his face as he entered the room. I tried to read his expression, but it was totally blank which just made me anxious. Usually he had a smirk, showed some amusement by messing with me, but there was no sign of playfulness today.

"Come with me," he bluntly directed. I stared at him for a moment, wondering where the handcuffs were, but not spotting any. "Now!" He raises his voice when I wasn't listening.

I stood up and hesitantly made my way over, following Alex out the door. I looked around as we walked, seeing his gang members everywhere and knowing it would be impossible to try and make a run for it. I guess I know why he didn't bother with the handcuffs.

We made it to a room I had never been in before, and taking one look I didn't want to be in. There were a ton of different weapons and tools that looked like they were used for torture, and my feet suddenly planted themselves into the ground so I could no longer move.

"It seems you've figured out why you're here," Alex said, closing the door. It was just me, him, and one other gang member in the room. "Go ahead, take a seat," Alex motioned to a chair in the middle of the room. A chair with straps to lock me in. I didn't move a muscle, and I could feel my knees getting weak.

"Are you going to kill me?" I asked, barely audible from the lump in my throat.

"No, but this definitely won't feel good," he answered honestly. I remained frozen in my spot, making Alex grow angry. "Sit down, or this will be much worse," he threatened.

I gulped and shakily stepped forward towards the chair, but just stared at it. I then felt hands turn me and push me down into the chair, and even though I tried to stand back up, the one gang member was forcing me down as Alex strapped my wrists to the chair. I kicked the gang member in the stomach, causing him to move back. I was already in though, and I was stuck.

"Get the cattle prod," Alex instructed him, keeping his eyes on me. "Jason has refused to negotiate, so I need to show him how serious I am."

"Alex, please don't do this," I begged, my lips shaking in fear.

"I told you, Katie. I wouldn't do anything unless I got desperate...and now, well..."

I suddenly felt a zap in my arm, causing me to scream in pain and try to move away. I looked to the side and saw the gang member standing at my side with the cattle prod.

"I tried to convince him! I really tried!" I reminded him.

"It doesn't matter because he still won't budge! Now all that's left is to take extreme measures to persuade him!" Alex said, giving a nod that resulted in my being zapped once again in the same spot.

I tried not to yell, biting my lip to prevent a sound. I still squeezed my eyes shut though from the lingering sting in my arm. "There has to be another way!"

"You're right! Jason could've taken the deal, and you two would have been off starting a life together! But he chose not to, so if you want to blame someone, blame him!" Alex seethed.

I was zapped again, this time lower on my arm. I gritted my teeth, feeling my arm shake from the electricity. "Alex, please!" I begged, tears in my eyes now.

Alex stepped forward, getting closer to me. "I'm sorry, Katie. I really didn't want it to come to this, but I have no other choice," he said calmly, then looked back at the gang member.

I tensed up, preparing for what was to come. And once again I was zapped, but this time on my side making it even more painful. I let out a scream, unable to hold it in this time.

"Do it until there's a few visible marks, we need something good to show my brother," Alex directed the gang member, the corner of his lips curving upward. He then glanced down at me, returning to his blank expression, and then walking out.