19

It wasn't until the next day that I saw Alex again as he walked into the room, closing the door behind him. I remained sat on the bed, letting him come over to me.

"I thought it would only be fair to tell you you'll still be staying here," he said, stopping the end of the bed.

"Jason didn't take whatever deal you had?" I figured, and Alex nodded in response. "You didn't even let me see him," I tried to keep my voice low.

"You didn't need to. He saw you, and that's all I needed. You got to hear his voice!" he pointed out.

I shook my head. "Hearing his voice, knowing he can see me from just the other side and not being able to see or talk to him myself? That's almost as cruel as not seeing him at all."

"I'm not the bad guy here! You could've been out last night if Jason just handed over what's rightfully mine!"

"And what is that exactly?" I snapped. "If you're using me as a pawn, I think I deserve to know what this is all about!"

Alex took a moment to think, then nodded as he let out a breath and stepped closer. He sat on the end of the bed, facing sideways to me to I swung my legs over to sit like him, still keeping my distance. "I've been trying to get Jason to hand over control of the gang," he finally revealed.

My eyes widened. "Complete control over his gang?" I repeated.

"It's not his gang! Not originally," Alex corrected. "When we were younger, it was our dad's gang. He raised us to be part of it, knowing how it worked inside out so one day we could take over. Since I'm the oldest, naturally I was next in line to lead. The day came when he passed, but instead of me taking over, Jason did. And he kicked me out so I had no say in anything, so he could have it all to himself!" he explained.

I sat there, not knowing what to say. How did I even know if it were true? Alex could say anything without any consequences. "You're lying. I mean, why would it take you so long to try and get the gang back?"

"I had to build up my own gang. I can't go in by myself! And when I did build it up, that's when I started the attacks. And of course, I found out about you," Alex answered.

"You have your own gang now, so why take over Jason's?"

"Jason's is much larger, spread out throughout the country, and other countries too. There's more connections, more resources...everything that my gang has, his has 10x more and then some!"

"Jason isn't going to give you the gang, he loves stand has worked hard with it!" I told him.

Alex shrugged. "I think you're the only chance I have at getting the gang back. Unless Jason doesn't really love you, which I guess wouldn't be too surprising."

I ignored the sting I got from his words and only glared. "He does love me, but that's his life's work! And I wouldn't be surprised if you're lying about it being rightfully yours!"

"But you don't doubt it!" Alex caught, and I remained quiet. "I only say this because I think if anyone can convince Jason to do the right thing, it's you."

"What makes you think I'd try to convince him? For all I know it's all lies!"

Alex sat for a moment, hesitating and then answering, "Because last night I changed the deal. Not only would Jason get you back and leave the gang, but I'd set him up with enough cash for the two of you to run off somewhere and start a different life without my interference."

I froze at his words, wondering if they were true. Jason and I being able to leave the gang and start a life together? No more Alex, no more constant fear for Jason's life, just the two of us? It sounded like a dream, too much like a dream. "You told Jason this last night during your meeting?"

Alex nodded. "Yeah. And he wouldn't take it. I'm a decent man though, and I told him I'd give him the week to consider."

I was unsure what to say, or do at this point. Part of me wished Jason just took the deal, but the other part of me knows that the gang is his whole life and always has been. And if Alex actually was telling the truth, that it rightfully belonged to him? Jason would be getting off easy. "I don't know what you expect from me."

Alex got off the bed and walked closer so he was no standing in front of me. "I want you to talk to Jason, convince him to take the deal. I'll have him back over tomorrow so you can actually see and talk to him," he proposed.

I shook my head. "I don't think I can do that, I can't tell him what to do," I denied.

Alex chuckled. "Oh, but I think you can. And I think part of you wants to as well!"

Alex stared me down, and I tried to do it back so as not to look weak. I really don't think I should try to convince Jason of anything, but if I said yes it meant I'd actually get to see him. So given that, I finally nodded in agreement. "Okay. I'll do it."