14

I slowly opened my eyes, immediately feeling a sharp pain in the back of my head. I began lifting my hand to touch my head, but was stopped shortly after and realized I couldn't. I looked down and saw my hands were chained up and connected to the chair I was sitting in. I then remembered what had happened and looked around, seeing I was back in the barn and Tom sat in another chair nearby.

Tom's eyes met mine and he sat up now that I was awake. "Glad you're finally awake," he stated.

"What's going on? Who are you working for because it's clearly not Jason!" I questioned, trying my best to keep calm but struggling. I was so confused, and with the sharp pain in my head it hurt even more to think to figure it out.

"I did work for Jason...but you're right. I follow someone else's orders now," Tom confirmed.

"Did anything even happen at the meeting?" I realized now that this was all a lie, and part of some other elaborate plan.

Tom shrugged. "Honestly something could have happened, you never know."

"Why am I even here? Are you mad about the move so you're trying to get revenge or something?" I tried to guess.

Tom chuckled. "This is a lot more deep than just you relocating. I've been undercover for quite some time now, working for my real boss."

"Who?"

"You know I can't tell you that. But you'll find out soon," he assured.

I can't believe Tom has been a spy this whole time, he was one of the members that I trusted most and felt like I was really getting somewhere with in our sessions. How could I have been so blind? "I just don't understand..." I trailed off quietly, my eyes to the floor as I tried to think.

"My boss has had some issues with Jason for years. The attacks on deliveries, stolen supplies, killed gang members...it was all a part of the plan," Tom explained.

"So Jason is meeting with him right now, and you're holding me hostage as some sort of security? So Jason will do what he wants?" I tried solving this puzzle.

Tom shook his head. "Jason is in a meeting with some other gang leader, one who has nothing to do with any of this. I just tried hinting to him it might be them so he wouldn't know who's really behind all this and we could get to you."

I guess I was right about something being off with the meeting: it was with the wrong gang. I then realized since Jason doesn't know who's really pulling the strings, he won't know where I am or how to find me. "So...your boss was behind all of the attacks, and then you were the one feeding misinformation to Jason, so he would meet with the wrong gang...so you could take me?" I summarized.

Tom gave a nod. "Exactly. With Jason away in a serious meeting for a night, it gives us time to get to you without him in the way and not in broad daylight."

"Not to mention the fact you were a spy so Jason's gang would trust you when you came to get me," I added. I suddenly squinted as the sharp pain in my head grew stronger.

"Oh, sorry about your head. I didn't really know another way to stop you," Tom noticed and apologized.

I furrowed my eyebrows, giving him a confused look. "You're sorry?"

"Look, I know I'm working for someone else, but I really did enjoy our sessions and grew to like you. I even feel bad."

I sat there, just staring at him and not knowing what to say, or how to take what he just said. "If you really felt bad, you wouldn't be doing this," I finally replied.

"Like I said, this has been a feud between my boss and Jason for years. He's just finally found a way to get to him...through you. And as much as I like you, my loyalty...and fear, is much stronger to my boss."

We sat in silence for a moment as I continued to process all of this new information. It was cut short though by Tom's phone buzzing again, followed by him responding to a text. He looked back up at me afterward, "Seems like you'll be meeting my boss any minute now."

My heart began to race as fear took over. I had no idea what this person would be like, or what they would do. The first time I met Jason I was nervous, but not scared due to the fact he was in prison with guards and chains to protect me. Now, I'm the one in chains and left defenseless.

There was a banging on the barn door and Tom got up, unlocking it to let the person in. The doors opened and this boss walked in, and I soon recognized him to be the one from the market weeks ago. He grinned to me as he got closer, mischief in his eyes. "Hello, Katie," he greeted.

"I knew I got a bad feeling from you at the market," I blurted, not meaning to but not regretting it either.

"Oh, so you remember me?" he said playfully. I just sat there, saying no more. "Well, I'm glad we can properly meet now. I'm Alex McCann. Jason's brother." My eyes widened and my jaw dropped in shock. No wonder they looked so similar, and I knew Jason had a brother. I'm honestly surprised I hadn't figured it our sooner. I winced in pain once again from my head, causing Alex to walk around to behind me. "I see Tom hit you a little harder than he described," Alex examined.

"I didn't mean to," Tom defended himself.

"You're lucky it isn't worse..." Alex told him as he walked back to the front of me. "Because you'll be punished in the same way," he finished telling Tom.

"But Sir..."

"This is why you follow orders exactly, Tom. You know that," Alex cut him off, then looking back to me. "Don't worry, there's and infirmary to fix you up where we're going," he assured me.

I gulped, still fearful. "Where are we going?" I dared to ask.

Alex grinned again. "I have my own hidden locations."