Chapter Seven

“So let me get this straight, you and Kion are best friends when both of you were young?”

   While making their way towards the giant tree, Kion’s animal friends started asking many questions of his friendship with the human boy. They are still skeptical but they’re slowly getting comfortable. Ono is still perched on the Ronin’s shoulder who is sharing facts about everything the egret asked, Beshte walked beside Nathan while Anga, with some help, is put on the hippo’s back due to not being able to fly, and Fuli walking beside Kion who had Bunga on his back. Right now, Nathan is answering Anga’s question.

   “Yep, although he can be a little… hyper at some ways.” he hesitantly said, catching the teen lion’s attention then glanced at him suspiciously.

   “Is it really a little?” Kion asked.

  Nathan nodded without looking at him. Even though he isn’t gazing him, Nathan can still feel the lion’s eyes glaring at him still. Finally, Nathan gave in, letting out a sigh of defeat to him since this is Kion. Once Kion sensed him lying, the young lion will do anything to get the truth.

   “Alright, you were actually as hyper as a sugar rushed  jackal pup.” Nathan calmly admitted, expecting the teen lion to protest or something.

   “Um…are you guys alright?

   Nathan stopped and looked behind his back to see Kion and the rest of the old Guard frozen and staring at nothingness with blank eyes, Ronin waving his hand in front of Ono on his shoulder before snapping his fingers which got them out of their trance but not their worry. When they came back to reality, Ronin asked them again.

   “Are you guys okay? You seemed concern of something.”

   Kion took for the team since he is their leader. “Everything’s fine, its just…” he paused, looking away and biting his lips before turning back and asked a concerning question since he apparently had forgotten to ask this last night until now. “Is there by any chance you two know a pair of hyenas? A male and a female, the ones that were unconscious along with all of us.”

   The two boys looked at each other then back at them with confused looks on their faces, Nathan being the slight started asking the teen lion. “Are they enemies or-"

   “Friends, close ones.” Kion desperately said, his tone of voice had a slight worrying.

   Ronin let out a breathe that he didn’t think he was holding back, removed his glasses and wiped the lenses with a handkerchief from his pocket before putting both of them back respectively. The way Ronin reacts made their eyes widen in horror but Nathan spoke quickly and reassuringly before they begin panicking.

   “They’re fine, we only left them with a friend after checking if their conditions are positive.”

   Hearing that their two hyena friends are in no harm is a relief to them but they are a bit worried about the friend they are talking about.

  “Quick question, who’s this friend of yours?” Bunga said, taking the stand since the six of them had the same question.

   “All we can say is she’s a very caring and trustful if they negotiate kindly enough without stubbornness, especially those she sees less of a threat and more of a….cuddle heart. Oh! And also has a soft spot for animals.” Ronin answered before going back to walking to their destination. The rest looked at each other before following.

                           ________

   Sitting on a crate box outside a different tent at the right, beside the giant tree, Vincent stared at it observingly, carefully pressing an ice packet on his left eye. It is indeed a wonder that of all the damage, the tree doesn’t seem to have a scratch nor a singe. As he continued to stare at it, someone called his attention.