Chapter Twelve

The sun is shining at the morning sky as its light shines all across The Pride Lands, all of the animals are doing their normal routine of living in a peaceful and serene day.

   “Panic and run, panic and run!

   Well, almost peaceful.

   In the Chakula Plains, the zebras got to a sudden panic, thanks to Thurston who got startled by who knows what, and started scrambling everywhere. However, there is a certain danger that they didn’t took notice. Above the canyon they are close to, the clatter of their hooves had echoed throughout the area that can cause an avalanche to fall above them. And it is not made of snow.

   From a hill not far from them, five lionesses stood out looking with bold expressions. At their left shoulder is a known mark of a roaring lion’s head, its mane blazing behind its head as it faces the left. There is only one mark that signifies this; The Mark of the Lion Guard.

   Without hesitation, the lioness in the center let out a cry which is followed by the rest.

   “’TIL THE PRIDE LANDS END,”

   “LION GUARD DEFEND!”

   They began rushing towards the zebras who are still not noticing the danger above them. One of the lioness, second to the middle one’s left, grayish fur with slightly brown coloration, light gray paws, underbelly, and muzzle, and pink, pointed nose, focuses her greenish blue eyes at the rocks above the herd as it flashes blue. Among the five, her eyesight can see things from afar and in the dark, giving her the title of the Guard’s Keenest of Sight.

   “Vitani, we only have seconds to get them out of there and fast!” the lioness said.

   The one in the center of the looked at her and nodded in understanding, her small tuft on her head moving through the wind. Looking at the two at her left then at her right, she began giving the commands to this mission.

   “Alright team, herd them out as fast as possible. If it comes, I know what to do,” Vitani said to them, earning firm nods from them.

   Back at the herd, they continued to run around in panic, still not aware of the situation they are in. All of a sudden, something run pass them and another started bumping them to a certain direction. Soon, the herd regrouped and calmed down once more, now away from the going to be avalanche which now they notice as well as the group of lionesses that they recognized.

   But, one of the female zebras looked around the herd with worry, trying to find someone.

   “Wait, where’s Kwato?” she said out loud, getting their attention as well.

   “Mom!”

   Everyone turned to where the avalanche is going to happened and saw far from it a young male zebra limping slowly towards them, his left back leg is wrapped with long leaves along with a sturdy stick to keep the leg straight. It is quite hard for the young one to keep up with the herd since he had to make sure not to go fast due to what happened to him a long time ago.

   In the situation he is in now, he won’t make it out of the danger zone and the rocks are going to fall at anytime.

   The mother stared in horror as the rocks started slipping. At this point, the rocks are going to crush him. Looking at Vitani who looked back at her, she said to her in desperation and distress as what a mother does.

   “Help my son,”

   Without a word, Vitani rushed towards the endangered young zebra. At her speed, she can only reach him in time but not enough to get both of them out. Some of the rocks started falling and barely missing the terrified foal.