{4} {Snitch}

I had to tell mom. She made me promise to tell her if demi ever hurt herself, ever since she came out of rehab.

I got up from my bed as quiet as I could, as not to wake Demi, and walked into the kitchen. I walked up to her and hugged her close, resting my head in the crook of her neck.

"It happened again." My mom knew exactly what I meant. She pulled me closer and kissed my head. "I'm going to go check on her." My mom said as she rushed upstairs.

The next thing I heard was yelling, Demi's yelling. She called my mom a 'bitch' then I heard footsteps heading down the stairs. My sister had a face of anger, it wasn't her.

She walked up to me and slapped my face, hard. I fell, on my way down my head it against the kitchen cabinet. I screamed out in pain, my sister continued to yell abuse toward me as she kicked me hard in the stomach.

I tried to shied myself but the damage had been done. My mom screamed at demi, trying to drag her away from me. "CALM DOWN DEMETRIA!" my mom screamed in Demi's face.

Demi sapped out of her mania, suddenly falling to the floor in sobs. I remained as still as I could, not even sure if I could move. Once demi had been detained, my mom rushed over to me and held me in her arms.

She kissed my head and held me close. "It's okay." She consoled me multiple times. I tried to get it out of my mind that my own sister had done this to me, but I couldn't.

She had moved me from the kitchen floor to the couch, I had lay there for about twenty minutes when my mom walked back in. it was still early, 8:00am, and I had to be at school for held past.

"Do you want to go to school?" my mom questioned, I nodded straight away. For the first time ever I wanted to go to school, to get away from demi, I didn't want her to hurt me again.

When I got to school, Jamie ran up to me. She immediately looked shocked at my bruised face. "What happened" she said as she held my face in her and, inspecting my injuries. "Family trouble."

She looked shocked, "Did your dad..." I cut her off, "no no no omg no, he would never! My sister gets angry sometimes and I guess I said the wrong thing."

I pulled my face out of her hand and looked to the floor. Jamie sighed, "Well, you still look beautiful." She smiled and kissed my cheek. She held my hand and walked me towards my first lesson, English.

I hate English; I can't read very well, I'm dyslexic you see. The other kids made fun of me sometimes, which is partly the reason I never turn up to this class, but Jamie made me come.

We were reading a look, aloud. It was my turn next and we each had to read a page, one whole page. I can barely read a text message on my phone let alone a book, and my teacher knew this for a fact.

She liked being horrible to me, she got a kick out of it, I swear.

"Sophie Lovato, read." She ordered at me.

I looked down at the page in front of me, it was like a foreign object to me, and I had no idea what it said.

I don't understand how someone can look at words and know what it says and means, how is that possible?

How did we unite to make a universal language and text to be able to understand? Why did we bother? It's not like I can read it anyway.

Dallas used to help me read before she moved out, but now she's never at home to help.

"Sometime today child." Mrs Lloyd snapped me out of my thought. I took my index finger and lined it up underneath the first word. I inhaled a deep breath and begun to process the word. "T-the...b...boy sat...n-near the..."

I looked up to see my teacher with her head in her hands, sarcastically rubbing her eyes, whilst the rest of the class snickered at my expense.

I snapped the book shut and grabbed my school bag. I stood up and stormed out of the classroom with no destination in mind. I was close to the front doors when I head my name being called, "Sophie? Sophie, what happened?" it was Miss Granger; I turned around, exposing the tears cascading down my face.

She walked closer to me, wrapping her arms around me as I cried into her. "Come on; let's get you out of the corridor before class is dismissed." She pulled me into her office; I swear I'm in here more than the classroom.

"Tell me what happened sweetie." Miss Granger said as she held my hand. She really did care about me, she knew about everything I had been through, even things my parents didn't know, like my cutting and throwing up sometimes.

She helps me, but she just wants me to be in class, that's why she gets mad sometimes.

"They made me read and then they laughed at me." I broke into sobs again. "Oh sweetie..." she looked genuinely sad, she knew how much it affected me.

We talked through the situation like we normally did, but then she asked new questions. "so I hear you and Jamie Leigh are close friends now."

This angered me a bit, I liked Jamie but I knew her intentions. "I know you told her to be my friend."

She looked shocked, but like she already knew what I felt. "That was not the case at al Sophie. She came to me and told me how she hates seeing you lonely and upset.She wanted to be you friend all on her own, she just asked me if she was allowed to talk to you first. She knows how often you talk to me but nobody else; she was looking out for you Sophie."

"She's just using me for Demi." Anyone who had ever tried to be my friend came to my house got a picture with demi and then I never saw them again.

"I doubt that. She grew up very underprivileged; she had never used a computer until she moved here a few weeks ago. It's her story to tell but she comes from a broken home, she never got much time to use the internet or listen to music."

I thought about this for a moment, I wanted to trust Jamie, but I had such a hard time doing so.

"Go and talk to her, ask her." Miss Granger seemed to find this slightly amusing, the fact that I didn't believe her yet she was always right.

I did just as she said.

It was break time so I went to Jamie's usual spot, behind the trees where no one could catch her smoking.

"Hey." She umped slightly as I spoke. "Shit Soph I thought you were going to bust my ass." I laughed at her comments.

"Here babe, have some of this." She pushed the cigarette towards me, I don't know how I feel about her calling me babe but I wasn't about to say no to her.

I smoked the cigarette for a moment before passing it back to her. "Do you know who I am?" I outright asked her. She looked puzzled, "you're the cute girl from math class who never shows up." I liked her description of me, it was pretty accurate.

"no, I mean like, my sister." She looked even more puzzled, "you have a sister? Cute." She had no idea what I was trying to get at, maybe this was a good thing.

"Lovato?" she narrowed her eyes at me and took a drag of her cigarette, "well done, that's your last name babe. Are you feeling okay?"

I decided to drop the matter, "it doesn't matter, don't worry about it."

She shook her head, "you're a strange one you are." She saw her comment hurt me slightly, her face changed to worry, "hey, hey, no I didn't mean it like that. You're beautiful." She smiled as she leaned closer to me; she kissed my forehead and looked into my eyes.

It shocked me as to what happened next, she grabbed my cheek in her hand, stroking it slightly with her thumb. Then she gently placed her lips against mine, just for a moment. She pulled back and smiled, "sorry." She apologised, looking quite shocked at her actions, much as I was too, then she was gone.