||THIRTY-SEVEN - THE CAR||

Jayda's POV

When I woke up, I decided I should go check on Dad and Jughead, and grab a change of clothes. When I told Sweet Pea where I was going, he just moaned at me for leaving him.

I walked into my trailer, and saw Betty.

"Oh, hey, Betty. What are you doing here?" I asked her.

"She's moving in." Jughead answered for her. I glanced at Dad, who I obviously thought would not endorse this. He just shrugged at me.

"Okay..." I trailed off. It was best to ignore this, and just try and focus on something else. "I'm just going to go now." 

After grabbing a spare change of clothes, I said goodbye, and headed back to Pea's trailer.

"Yay, you're back!" He said, as I walked into his room. "Come here." I dropped my clothes on the floor, and climbed onto his bed, where he pulled me into his arms.

"Were your dad and brother okay?" He asked me, as he played with my hair. 

"They were fine." I answered. "And, apparently, Betty is moving in with us." 

"And your dad let her, just like that?" Sweet Pea asked me.

"I don't think he's really a fan of the arrangement, but he'll deal with it." I replied. "But, this way, I can spend more time with you."

"Yay." He beamed, making me laugh. He pressed his lips against my own, before we fell asleep.

-----

The next day, was the Class President debate. The whole school, plus some parents, were all gathered in the auditorium. The three candidates, and their running-mates were all on stage, ready for the questions they would be bombarded with.

"Okay, now just a quick reminder that this School Hall is a PTA-sponsored event." Alice Cooper began. Sweet Pea stood up. "Oh! Looks like we have our first question." She pointed to him.

I didn't think Sweet Pea was really into politics, guess I was wrong. Fangs stood up beside him.

"Yeah. No offence to the current administration, but it doesn't feel like anyone's looking out for the students being bust in from the Southside. Is that going to change?" Sweet Pea asked. As he was talking, I heard someone yell "Sit down!" which got me really annoyed.

"Absolutely, Sweet Pea. That's our priority." Jughead answered. "And no-one should feel marginalized or excluded here."

"Jughead and I will be representing all students, North and Southside alike." Betty continued for him.

"Next, question." Alice interrupted. She was obviously annoyed that her daughter had moved out. "Yes, Midge."

Midge stood up as Sweet Pea and Fangs sat down. "My question is for Archie and Veronica." she began. "Rumor has it that your parents will soon be on opposite sides of the mayoral election. Won't that negatively affect your working relationship?"

"Archie and I adhere to the old maxim that: Politics are never discussed at the dinner or the cafeteria table." Veronica said, most people laughed, but I stayed silent, glaring at the rich girl.

"Veronica and I are on the same page about everything, including her family's plans for a prison on the Southside." Archie added. I booed along with some other people in a crowd. 

I can't get over the fact that they are closing a high school, and making it into a prison. It's just wrong.

"In the meantime, we're committed to improving the quality of life at Riverdale High. Which means more extracurriculars---" Veronica continued, but was cut off by Josie.

"Reggie and I agree, except the fact that we can and will deliver results." she stated.

"And we're chill, unlike these guys." Reggie added. More of the crowd laughed this time, but I rolled my eyes at him.

-----

That night, I was sat at the table, doing homework, when Dad got a call from Alice.

"Easy, Alice, hold on." he said into the phone, then turned to Jughead and Betty. "Turn to Channel 8, right now." 

I got up from my seat, and over to where they were in the living room.

"It is not yet known, how or when the car first entered the swamp, but foul play has not been ruled out." the news presenter announced.

Everyone was looking at the screen, with worried looks on their faces. I, personally, had no idea why.

"It's just a car, why are you so worried?" I asked them. They all turned to me. It was obviously the wrong question to ask.

"What's going on?!" I asked them. Then, they explained to me about Chic killing a man, then they covered up the murder, and Jughead and Betty took care of the car.

"Okay..." I trailed off.

"Just finish your homework, then go to bed." Dad demanded. "And don't you tell anyone about this. You hear me." He was angry, as he raised his voice at me.

"Don't worry. I won't." I responded. I went back into the kitchen, grabbed my books, and locked myself in my room.

-----

The next morning, Dad took us all to Pop's, where we met up with Alice.

"I should've known better. We should've driven that damn car further out of town." Jughead sighed.

"No. Have could you have known that Junkyard Steve drags the swamp for people's cast offs?" Dad asked. "It was dumb luck."

"It's Jones luck, you mean." Jughead corrected, and took a sip of his coffee.

"Shouldn't Chic be here?" I questioned. "Considering he's the one that brained the guy."

"Don't worry about Chic." Alice snapped.

"Normally, I would disagree. Definitely, worry about Chic. But he doesn't know anything about the car." Betty pointed out.

"When we got to the swamp, we wiped the thing clean of fingerprints before we pushed it in." Jughead stated.

"Wearing gloves?" I asked them.

"I think so." Jughead answered, and at the same time Betty said "I'm pretty sure."

"What do you mean you think so?" Dad asked, obvious annoyance in his voice.

"No, no, no. We were." Betty affirmed. "We 100% were."

The bell above the door jingled, as Sheriff Keller walked into the diner.

"If anybody comes asking questions, we don't know anything." Dad stated. "We don't talk to anyone. We act like everything's normal."

"Including, Betty, you coming home so you're not nesting with a bunch of Serpents." Alice added.

"No, you are not gonna use this to manipulate me, mom." Betty argued. "You know the deal. I come home when Chic leaves."

Alice was about to argue back, when I cut her off.

"Everybody, be cool." I snapped, trying to hide my glare at Alice.

"In the unlikely event that something happens, we batten down the hatches." Dad instructed. "Until then, life goes on, and nobody goes anywhere near that car."