||FORTY-THREE - ARREST||

Jayda's POV

"War Baby called us from Shankshaw." I addressed the Serpents at the Swords and Serpents meeting the next day. "Our old adversaries, the Ghoulies, have been released."

"Word on this street is that they want Serpent blood." Jughead added.

"They're gunning for a rematch." I continued for him. "They want war."

The door was pushed open, and all the Bulldogs came in.

"Which one of you reptiles was screwing Midge Klump?" Reggie asked us. I looked at Fangs, he was really worried.

"What the hell is going on?" I snapped at Reggie. "This is a private meeting." Reggie ignored me.

"I'm guessing it was you, Sweet Pea." Reggie accused. "You seem like you would cheat on your girlfriend." I rolled my eyes.

"Reggie, that's enough." Archie said.

"You ass, I would never cheat on her. And, I didn't even know Midge." Sweet Pea explained. "But, yeah, I get why she wouldn't want fleas from you mangy Bulldogs."

Reggie lunged forward, and shoved Sweet Pea. This started everyone in each group fighting one another. Reggie was being a dick, so I ran over there, and threw a punch to his jaw.

Archie and Jughead broke up the fight, and the Bulldogs were kicked out of the room. And, we all knew, that there was probably going to be another Serpents vs. Bulldogs fight.

-----

Fangs had asked me and Jughead to talk with him, and I think it was about Midge.

"It's bad, Jay. It's really bad." Fangs said, very nervously.

"So, talk to us, Fangs." I told him.

"On the opening night of Carrie, when you, Jughead, were backstage filming your documentary and you found me in Midge's dressing room..." Fangs explained. "I wasn't just giving her notes."

"You were hooking up?" Jughead concluded. Jughead was shocked, but I wasn't, I already knew. "And you didn't tell Sheriff Keller? Gees, Fangs, you know how guilty that makes you look."

"I know. I know." Fangs replied. It was silent for a moment.

"Did you do it?" Jughead asked him.

"Of course he didn't, Jughead!" I exclaimed, annoyed.

"Can you delete the footage off your camera?" Fangs asked Jughead.

"I already gave the footage over to Sheriff Keller as evidence." Jughead sighed.

"What do I do?" Fangs asked.

"Nothing. They can't arrest you, as I told them that it was a white male in his forties." I explained. "You should be clean. However, they could use that to pin it on you."

Fangs was so worried, and nervous, that it was saddening.

-----

After Jughead had tried to get the footage back, he came to Pop's. Where, I was already talking to Dad.

"Sheriff Minetta wouldn't give me back my footage. He says he wants to go through it frame by frame." Jughead explained.

"It's only a matter of time before he puts two and two together, and brings Fangs in." Dad replied. He hit his hand on the table. "Damn it. Of all the girls in Riverdale High."

"There's no way Fangs could've known." I argued. 

"What do we do?" Jughead asked.

"If Fangs runs, he looks guilty." Dad answered. "If he get caught withholding the truth, he'll look like the killer."

"It's a perfect storm." Jughead scoffed. "The Lodges endorsed this new sheriff. They want Midge's killer caught. And if it's a Southsider, so much the better."

"Then we hunker down." Dad responded. "Get ready to fight."

-----

The next day, at school, I was talking with Jug, when Toni came running over to us.

"Jug, Jay. Did you see it?" She asked us.

"See what?" Jughead countered. She opened the video on her phone.

"Fangs was dating Midge and forgot to tell Sheriff Keller." Toni answered.

"Where'd you get this video?" I asked her.

"It was posted on the Register's website. Somebody leaked it." Toni replied. "It makes Fangs look guilty as sin."

"Attention students." Came Weatherbee's voice through the loudspeaker. "This is Principal Weatherbee. I need Fangs Fogarty to come to my office, immediately."

We started walking down the corridor.

"Where is he?" I asked Toni.

"I don't know." Toni responded, trying to keep up with my pace.

"We have to find him before the Dark Circle does." I stated, and then we walked straight into Fangs.

"What the hell?" Fangs exclaimed. "That video's everywhere. How did it get out?"

"We have to get you out of here, alright." I said to him, quickly

"You're dead, Vixen Killer!" Came the voice of Reggie Mantle from the top of a flight of stairs. Fangs' eyes widened at the sight, and we began to push him the opposite way.

"This way." I told him.

"Mr. Fogarty." Said the man who was most likely, Sheriff Minetta. "We need you to come with us."

"I didn't do anything." Fangs insisted. It was true, he didn't. I saw the man that did, and it wasn't Fangs.

He tried to walk away in the opposing direction, but was stopped by the Bulldogs. Fangs then tried to run through Sheriff Minetta, and the other guys with him.

They pushed him up against the lockers, and Fangs struggled against them.

"You don't have the right to contain him!" I yelled. As he struggled, his switchblade fell out of his pocket.

Fangs' breathing was heavy, as he caught sight of the knife on the floor. The sheriffs shoved him onto the ground next to the knife, where they handcuffed him.

I felt like breaking down as I watched them drag my best friend away. These idiots didn't listen to a word I said about who it was, and that person was not Fangs. 

Fangs was innocent. Sweet Pea came around the corner, and was oblivious to what just happened.

"What's going on?" He asked us.

"They just arrested Fangs." I answered. "But, he didn't do anything." I was tearing up, I don't know why. I just missed him.

Sweet Pea sensed this, and pulled me into a tight hug, comforting me.  

"Why'd they arrest him?" Sweet Pea asked us.

"Because they think he killed Midge, even though Jay gave a pretty good description of the guy." Jughead answered.

I decided, in that moment, that I was going to help Fangs as much as I could.