[CH 8] Nico

"NicoNicoNicoNicoNicoNico" Leo shakes me awake. Making me question myself again on why I love this sorry excuse of a best friend of mine so much, that I can't just throw him out the 3rd floor window and actually sleep peacefully for 20 minutes.

"NICO!!" He pants. "Window. Tapping. Ghost"
"LEO!" I hiss. "FOR CHRIST' SAKE! What are you doing?!"
"Nico, Something's outside the window!"
"We live on the 3rd floor! It must have been a bat, go to sleep!"
"But-"
"SLEEP LEO!"
Leo huffs. And scrambles back to his bed. I lay in my bed, eyes closed. Waiting for sweet slumber to take over me once again. Then I hear the tapping on the window, and I almost jump out of bed. But at least I keep some composure and stay still, while Leo bounces off his bed and leaps right on top of me.
"I TOLD YOU!" He says. I try pushing him away. But he won't let go.
"LEO!" I say some colourful language in my head. "ITS THE DAMN WIND! GO.TO.BED!"
"You cursed..."
"SLEEP!" I demand. He let's go off me and sits at the edge of my bed. I pull back up my covers and settle in. Leo shifts uncomfortably.
"Can I sleep with you tonight?" He asks.
"NO!"
"Please?"
"NO!"
"PLEASE?!"
"NO!"
Leo Grunts and after finally admitting defeat, He gives me a shove and scrambles back into his domain, leaving me peacefully in mine. And when I think things can't get any worse, the tapping sound begins again. And before Leo can jump off bed, I get out of bed and stomp towards the window, attempting to find out the source of this torturous sound. Leo sits up bed, covering himself up in his blanket.
"You cursed" Leo states. "Satan's here for you"

I ignore him. Waking up to the window, I open it. I stick my head outside to see if I can spot anything suspicious, as in bats or birds or demons are in sight, that might be causing the sound. There's nothing. There's no wind blowing either. It must have been his imagination, but I heard it too. I glance at the dark lonely street below. There's absolutely nothing here. Satisfied, I look at Leo's scared state and let out a tiny laugh.

"See! Absolutely nothing, this was all your imagination" I say with a smirk.
"He is coming" Leo says in a deep voice. "He's coming for your soul"
"I don't have one" and just as I'm about to close the window. Something swoops in, right past me, causing me to stumble and fall painfully on my butt. For a minute I'm startled and almost freak out. Leo Buries himself in his blanket. Chiming prayers against evil: "please don't eat me! Please don't eat me!"
It takes me awhile to compose myself. I look around the room, scanning every inch, when my eyes fall on a small figure on the large cross, above our door. Leo comes out his blanket. As nothing paranormal was happening, And turns on the light. The figure comes into view and it is revealed to be a... an owl?
A pretty, cream coloured, barn owl...with an envelope in its beak. To be quite honest, it looks rather cute.
"Awww" I coo. "It's an owl! So pretty"
"What if it's Satan?" Leo asks. Maybe offended by Leo's comment, the owl releases the letter, which lands on the ground, and flys towards Leo, landing on his head. Creampuff, yes I have officially named the owl, bundles up in a fluffy ball and hoots happily. I can't do anything but laugh at the scene. The cute owl, on a terrified Leo's head.
"She likes you" I tease. I assume it's a she.
"Get. It. Off"
"Nah! Keep it, looks good on you"
"I can feel my head bleeding"
I laugh again. I walk towards the door and pick up the letter. With the the owl still seated on burrito Leo's head, I sit next to him.

To: Mister Nico Di Angelo § Leo Valdez,
The orphanage.
Coren street
Washington DC

Reads the envelope. I look at Leo in shock, he does the same. We've never had any mail before, so what's this. I look at Leo again and he gives a small nod. I hesitantly rip open the envelope. There are two letters inside. I begin with the first one. And read out loud:
==============================
Dear Mr Di Angelo § Mr Valdez,