09 | It's Just Acting

“Do you guys want to tell me what exactly happened yesterday?”

I feel Kyle’s intense gaze, burning the side of my head, but I don’t dare to turn around. We’re both silent for a moment and I know for a fact that both of us are showering in guilt. What happened yesterday was unacceptable and I’m surprised they haven’t cut us from the movie. Last night, I was thinking about how I reacted and I should have reacted better, but Kyle on the other hand should have held in his emotions until after we were done for the day.

“I’m sorry for my actions,” Kyle speaks professionally, like he’s been told what to say. I wouldn’t have been surprised if he was. “I’m also sorry to you, Rayna. I didn’t mean to yell at you like I did.”

The whole room awaits my response, but when nothing comes out of my mouth a few seconds later, Phillip clears his throat. “Alright then,” he says. “You want to add anything, Rayna?”

“I’m sorry for my actions too,” I say, looking at the ground. “I shouldn’t of had run out like that.”

“Can you guys work with each other without trying to bite each other’s head off?” he asks, looking sternly at Kyle and me.

“Why did you put us together,” I blurt out. “You obviously knew this was going to happen sooner or later.”

“Because my dear,” Phillip replies. “You guys have a lot of chemistry together whether you want to deny it or not and that’s what we need for the role of Falice and Adam. And not only that, but you both are amazing actors.”

I only half-smile, sending it in Phillip’s direction. He gives me a grin in return. “Anything you guys want to add?” he asks, collecting his papers.

We both shake our heads. Phillip nods, standing up from his chair and gesturing us to exit the room. We follow commands exiting the room. Me first and then Kyle. I walk back to the room where we’re doing our table reads, not bothering to wait for Kyle.

Entering the room, I am greeted by warm smiles from the cast and crew. They don’t seem that affected by what happened yesterday, which makes me wonder how many times they have seen somebody blow up like that.

I quietly sit down in my allocated seat, while we wait for Kyle to enter the room. He enters a minute after, giving smiles to the entire cast before sitting down next to me.

“Are we ready to start without any interruptions?” Sophia teases.

A chorus of ‘yes’ goes around the room. “Alright then, let’s start. Scene 1, Rayna first,” Sophia instructs.

I nod my head, closing my eyes to get into character, which isn’t really hard as Falice is basically me. “Don’t you wish we could be like this forever?” I ask, putting on the role as Falice. I pretend I’m wrapped up in someone’s arms to get me into the role more.

I mentally cringe at what’s written next.

(Adam kisses forehead)

Luckily we’re not actually acting this out. Yet.

“Do you love me?” Kyle asks, getting into the role of Adam. I look up from my script and over at Kyle who is already looking at me.

Looking directly into his eyes, I produce my next line, “Yes.” I say it so sincere that it even shocks me. If the whole room wasn’t quiet before, it is now. You can practically hear a pin drop. Something in Kyle’s eyes shifts, but it’s gone as soon as it comes.

“That’s the answer to that question,” Kyle smiles, not taking his eyes off me. “You love me, I love you, I do wish we could be like this forever and I’m betting that we will,” Kyle pauses as he reads the next line in the script.