11 | Good Morning with Emily

“Good morning!”

“It’s way too early in the morning to be this cheery, Taylor,” I grumble, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

“You’ve got to get used to it, love,” she chirps, patting me on the back.

Groaning, I sip the coffee in my hand. Today Kyle and I have an interview on Good Morning with Emily. Unfortunately the good morning bit means we have to be on the set at six in the morning and we’re not on till nine. I don’t think I need three hours to get ready, but according to Taylor and Zach – Kyle’s manager – we need to rehearse our segment. I don’t get why we need to rehearse, though. Isn’t it just talking?

“Okay, you have half an hour to get ready!” she says to me, reading off her iPad. “You will get your make-up done down the hall and what you’re wearing now is fine,” I look down at my white lace dress. It goes down to about mid-thigh and then it goes up to see-through sleeves. The sleeves stop just above my elbow and the hems of the dress are jagged. I complete the look with an infinity necklace that stops on my chest-area and brown ankle-boots that tie up at the front. At the moment my hair is a big mess, so I just put it in a bun. The make-up artist will fix it later.

“The producer should come in a minute to tell us when to get you to make-up,” Taylor says.

I nod, sipping on my coffee, slowly waking up. Slowly. The make-up artist is going to have a hard job getting rid of the bags under my eyes. I shouldn’t have gone to bed at eleven last night and listened to Cayden when he said sleep, but I just shoved him off and kept talking to everyone. Stupid decision.

“She’s ready for make-up!” a lady says, opening my dressing room door before closing it again.

“Okay,” Taylor says, getting up from your seat. “We need to go, quickly!”

I get up, taking my coffee with me. Taylor leads me out the door and down the hall into the make-up room. In the room there are two make-up artists, both ladies. They’re both turned away from us, cleaning up their make-up equipment, chatting aimlessly about make-up related things.

“Hello,” Taylor says politely, in her business like tone.

One of the girls mutters something to the other one before she turns around. The other one stays turned though, her back still facing us. “Hi,” the girl who turned around says. “I’m Victoria and I’ll be your make-up artist for today,” she walks over to the furthest seat, patting the top of it. “Come here and I’ll do your make-up.”

Taylor gives me a nudge, taking my coffee from me and pushing me in the direction of the chair. I walk over giving Victoria a smile before settling in my seat. From the corner of my eye I see Taylor take a seat on the red love seat at the corner of the room, putting my coffee in the bin next to her. My sweet caffeine is gone.

“So honey, I’m gonna leave your make-up natural, since that will go well with your outfit,” she informs me, taking out her foundation brush from the bench in front of me. She picks up the foundation bottle, squirting some of it onto her hand before running the brush through it. She then starts applying it to my face. I almost flinch because it’s so cold. She rubs the brush up and down my face, covering it all. “I’m going to put some concealer under your eyes because you do have some pretty heavy bags,” she comments, observing them.

“Yeah, I didn’t get much sleep last night,” I respond, sheepishly.

She clicks her tongue. “Not really a good idea before you go on national television.”

Note to self, go to sleep earlier.

We don’t talk until she’s done putting on my make-up. I look in the mirror in front of me, admiring her handiwork. When she said natural, I thought I’d at least look like I have heaps of make-up on, but it doesn’t look like that at all. Instead it looks like I haven’t even stepped into this make-up room. You can really only make out that I am wearing lipstick—a Warm Rose Brown colour—and mascara. I also think it would blend well with the heavy lighting.