Untitled Part 6

Phoebe never caught feelings for anyone before. She had crushes on fictional characters from books and movies before, but never for an actual person. It was something new to her. The following week, she found herself once again riding in the passenger seat of Stanley's dad's car on the way to school. Phoebe felt the vibrations of "Hey Little Girl" by Bloodwitch from the car door as the song blasted from the stereo. Before they drove off, he told her that he was planning on seeing if his friend Sydney (or Syd for short) wanted to get a ride. She had only seen Syd around school at least a couple of times, but never had any interaction with her. One time, Phoebe heard that she was so pissed that she cut a strain of her hair in the middle of a class. 

He slowed down and stopped by a girl with a chestnut brown pixie haircut, presumed to be Syd. "Hey, Syd", Stanley greeted her, lowering his window.

"Hey", she replied.

The window took a while for it to lower down, moving as slow as a sloth. He awkwardly chuckled. It was pretty common considering how old the car was. " 'Going to school?", he asked.

"Yeah"

"Ok, us too", he smiled awkwardly. There was a bit of an awkward silence which Phoebe could heavily sense. She kind of found his awkwardness rather cute. 

After she accepted the ride to school, Phoebe moved to the backseat and Syd sat in the passenger seat. "Syd, this is Phoebe. Phoebe, this is my friend Syd", he introduced the two girls to each other before he started to drive off. "Hey", Syd waved to her. Phoebe waved back. 

"She's deaf", Stanley told her.

"o-oh. I didn't-"

Phoebe got out her notebook and wrote, "It's ok. I can kind of read lips"

"Ok", she nodded.

Most of Phoebe's interaction with Syd was pretty normal. There wasn't much to complain about her. She noticed that Syd was a bit kept to herself, but was still kind of friendly towards her and had a wittiness to her.

"Can you believe that some people re already asking dates to homecoming?", Stanley asked Syd. "So stupid. It's so far away", Syd said, looking out the window. 

"Yeah, totally", he awkwardly chuckled. "Super far, like a whole week".

Phoebe understood only half of the conversation, but from reading their lips, she knew that it had to do with homecoming. The homecoming dance was the last thing on Phoebe's mind since she wasn't particularly that interested in it at first no matter how many times her parents questioned her about it. She started to think about maybe asking Stanley to homecoming. "You know, Phoebe's a great artist", he said to Syd. "Really?", Syd asked, turning to Phoebe. 

"Yeah, you should see her drawings"

Sometimes when it came to her art work, Phoebe was a bit shy. It was mostly because she was very critical about them and dreaded ever having to screw up on a drawing or painting. When she was a kid, whenever her parents had company over, they would encourage her to show off her art work to them. She was thankful that she didn't have to do much of it anymore. "They're not finished, but I'll show you sometime", she wrote.

"Ok, that's fine"