xiii. day five: the stars aligned

♚♚♚

I open my eyes to see darkness surround me. Then, a white spotlight shines directly over my body. I look at my arms and legs, they're both tied-up with strings. I feel myself being pulled up like a rag doll. How did I end up here again?

Then, I hear footsteps. I see the silhouette of a guy peering over me. My whole body tenses up. Then, the guy steps into the light. I sigh out of relief. It's Travis.

"How are you?" He asks with a warm tone in his voice.

"I've been better."

He looks at the strings tied to my body with those same puppy dog eyes both him and Dr. Marlen gave me on my first day here.

"Is this...what it's like for you?" he questions. His eyes gloss over with tears and his nose turns red. "It really hurts to see you like this."

"I'm sorry you feel hurt, but I don't know how to free myself." I reply.

"But you do. I think you should come with me."

"Why? What's the point if I get in trouble?"

"The point is to risk something. The point is to LIVE."

"I'll make my mom even more angry than she is now with me."

"If your mom is angry with you having fun for once in your life, screw her. You don't need that in your life."

♚♚♚

I flip open my eyes to my dark, cold hospital room. I look out the window, and it's still pitch black outside. I reach for my phone sitting on the nightstand and unplug it. Then, I tap to my contacts to call Lili. I slide the phone behind my hair as it dials, putting it to my ear.

"Julie?" Lili answers.

"Hi! I miss you!" I greet.

"I know...it's been forever," She drowsily replies. "What's up? Are you okay?"

"My surgery's tomorrow."

"Are you gonna be okay? Do you want us to visit today? 'Cause Lucy's snoring on my bed, I can wake her up and we'll go."

"No, it's fine. You guys can visit me after. I just...I really want to get this over with."

"I understand."

"And...I met this guy." I admit.

"WHAT-"

"Shhhh! You almost blew my eardrum off," I joke.

"Sorry, sorry! I'm just—oh my god! I'm so happy for you! What's his name?"

"Travis. He's fourteen. He's a theatre kid."

"Hehe, you got a theatre kid? That's amazing!"

"Well, I don't HAVE him per say."

"I bet you do! What's he like?"

"He's...he has great hair. He's spontaneous. I like how he's really direct with you. He plays the piano, he sings, I assume he acts."

"He sounds perfect for you." She states.

"Really? You think so? How come?"

"You need a direct person in your life, it contrasts your constant second-guessing and worrying. Plus, he plays the piano. In my opinion, guys who are musically inclined are so much hotter than guys who play sports or something like that. I guess that's why I'm dating Diamond."

"Why?"

"I dunno. It's more charming to me. But Julie, imagine you doing ballet while he's your accompanist!"