xiv. day six: i love you.

♚♚♚

We slowly make our way back to the hospital, stepping on crunchy grass at twelve in the morning. The only light guiding us were glowing yellow street lamps hovering above our heads. Yet, we weren't scared at all. We were laughing!

"Oh my god, when the girl that played Ilona did the splits in the middle of the song! Wow that must hurt!" I remark.

"No kidding. Imagine doing THAT eight times a week." He replies.

"I mean, I can. I am a dancer," I giggle.

"You're so right about that. You ARE a dancer," he agrees.

"Hey, thanks for inviting me. I really needed this." I say.

"No, I should thank you for coming with me. I didn't think you would."

"Well, you sent that nurse to help me."

He stops walking. I turn around to look.

"Before that," he says. "I didn't think you would agree to come. But you did. And I'm genuinely proud of you."

"For sneaking out and disobeying my parents?"

"No." He steps close to me. He stares down at me, inches away from my face. I look up at him.

"For deciding for yourself," he finishes.

We fell into the trap of awkward stares again. The only thing we can hear are the crickets chirping. He lightly grazes his hand over my face. I nuzzle my cheek in his palm.

"We're gonna do this again when we get out of the hospital," I immediately say. "I'm gonna talk to my parents and—"

His face becomes completely blank. He has a thousand-yard stare in his eyes. The air gets sucked out of his lungs.

"No," he mumbles.

Suddenly, Travis shakes his head and starts walking away from me; turning his back, glaring at my face as if he's ashamed. No. Oh no. I did something. I hurt him.

"Travis? Did I do something wrong? Did I hurt you? How can I make it better?"

"No, you didn't do anything—just...I think it's best if I leave you alone now."

I rush towards him, trying to catch up but his pace just increases. If I didn't do anything wrong, why is he leaving me?

"Why? Do you not like me anymore? Do you hate me?"

"Of course I like you. I could never hate you."

"Then at least give me an explanation! Travis!"

I latch onto his arm, but he quickly whips it back, swatting me away.

"Just let it be, Juliana. This was a great night. We had fun, and now it's over. You're leaving after your surgery, anyway. Trust me, you'll thank me for it—"

"No, I won't!"

So, we're finally on our first fight. And he's actually leaving me. I squeeze my hands into a tight fist.

"Travis, are you leaving me for good?" I ask.

"Juliana, I think I have to."

"Bullcrap," I state. "All my life I was afraid if I made one mistake, everything I loved would be over. Are you seriously making that fear come true right now?"