10.ACHSAH

'Why are they always fighting??' Achsah mused looking at two girls who happen to have a heated discussion in the entrance. Achsah knew that faces from the gang she and her friends hated. One was a fat tall girl with two pigtails and the other was a contrary to her. She was thin, short with curly short hair. The tall girl was saying in a pleading voice, Achsah could make out.'Please, listen to me.' She was saying.
'No. Why.... like ... Anashwara... more.' Achsah could not make out what the other was saying. Minutes later they parted apart in two directions.
'Ugffff... fighting .. patching then again fighting .. what the heck.'
'Achsah, what are you staring at? ' Jelyn, one of her best friends , asked with concern. She was sweet girl with a bit of obesity. She has this straight hair which she always tied with a puff on her head. With a quiet character and a sharp mind she was the perfect example of nerds among students that easily become teachers pets. She was one of the toppers since Achsah knows her.
'I was wondering where Asi is? It's been a while she is gone.' Jelyn again put that face of concern.
Achsah has no other option than to laugh.' Just cut the crap manh. Moreover she is not a newbie.' Jelyn smiled. 'People... what are you guys doing.??' It was another of her friend, Noora. Noora, Jelyn, Asifa aka asi and Hasna was her gang. Though Hasna joined them this year after a break, their friendship was as always as they had.
'Nothing yaar .. is not it the time for the assembly to begin?'
'5 more minutes to go.' Noora declared after looking at her watch.
'No test or homework today right.'
'Eh?? Yeah yeah.. none.' Achsah's attention again drifted to that earlier two girls, who entered the class. First, came the short curly haired with another girl laughing as if she never had a fight minutes ago. Secondly the tall one entered and Achsah saw her eyes taking in all the faces in the class. Then as if she saw the scene she prayed not to see, her face contracted with visible sadness. Achsah followed her line of vision and saw the curly and her new friend , who ever she is.
'Achsah... you seem to be somewhere else.' Noora was now shaking her. 'Sorry sorry... I was .. never mind'. Noora just shook her head and retreated.
Bell rings...
Soon the morning buzz of attendance, assembly, prayers started. Asi, came in the midst of the assembly.
'May I come in?' Asi asked with short of breath. ' Yes '. Saira mam , their class teacher and maths teacher said with a nod in her head.
'Where were you?' Jelyn asked as soon as she came to stand next to her. Even Hasna was having a questioning look.
'Gone to see.... Gifty. Being talking..
with her.... Forget to look... at the time..' Asifa said in gaps of taking breath.
Meanwhile their was the usual pushing and pulling in the front row.
'Those people... why can't they stand still in the assembly.?? After all they should show some respect to the pledge right.' Achsah could not understand what they laughing at nor the fun in pinching each other. Nor she saw the calculating look in the eyes of the girl standing behind her looking at the curly haired girl. 'Chinnu...' It was the teacher's loud voice that jerked Achsah from her reveriee. 'Stop day dreaming. Pay attention to the assembly.' Teacher scolded. 'Sorry mam..' Achsah turned and saw that it was the girl she saw earlier with the curly haired girl. 'So her name is Chinnu..'. Achsah marked her name in the mind.
It must be a gut feeling but something told that her... Chinnu was not a name to ignore....