25

Flashback 

Last year of school. Time for prom. Have I got a date? Nope. But am I talking to a boy who I think is planning on taking me to the dance? Yep.

Ben Johnson, we've been friends pretty much since I came from England to America, I've never ever would have thought that I would like him but these past couple of months him and I have been talking, and maybe flirting here and there. Our friend group keeps on joking about us going out and you know how sometimes when that happens the other person, who's normally your crush, would go 'ew no', he doesn't. He chuckles and agrees which gives me a string feeling that he will ask me to the dance.

Two weeks before the dance Ben messages me saying that we should hang out and go shopping for the dance. I already have my dress and he has his suit so I'm guessing it's for like the small things. I agree. Obviously. Hanging out with a cute dude alone, yes please. 

Anyways, the shopping is the same as any other time we go together however he seems a little more on edge. Like he's nervous. He grabs my hand and walks me over to the fountain just outside the mall. The sun shining down on us, hands still holding each other's. 

"Watch the water" he smiles 

I do as he says and face the water.

"Wow, amazing" I say sarcastically 

"Oh shut up. Just watch it" he laughs

That's when it happens. The water shoots high into the sky creating a mist as it falls around us. The fountain does a whole show and I'm left in amazement. 

"That was beautiful" I say in awe

"(Y/n) I was wondering if you- you wanted to uh go to the um dance together?" He stutters playing with his hands.

"Are you serious! Of course!" I reply jumping into his arms 

We stand holding each other with massive smiles on our faces.

(Time skip) 

The dance has been and went. It was amazing. Ben and I danced together, and we shared laughs with our friends. It's sad that I have to leave soon. A couple of weeks actually. I'm happy to see Ethan and my mum again but I can't help but think about not being with my friends all the time. But I push those thoughts aside and make the OST of the time I have right now. 

"(Y/n) can I talk to you for a second, alone" Ben asks 

I walk over to him as he then gets me to follow him into a separate room.

"What ya wanna talk about" I smile as we sit on the couch 

"Us" he starts "what are we and what's going to happen when you go back to England?" He asks sadly 

"I don't know" I say in the same tone. "I really like you Ben but I don't think I could do a long distance relationship, I hope you understand. Just know that if you could come to England with me I would definitely want to be with you, since I first met you you had something about you which I liked and over the past couple of months I've really started to like you." 

"I get it. Long distance is hard. Maybe one day I'll come to England and we can try things out." He smiles sadly 

I know it's not the answer he wants, nor is it what I really want to do. But it's for the best. I doubt he would come to England on his own just to be with a girl but I wouldn't put it against him. When he's set in something he will do it. 

(Time skip)

(Y/f/n) and Ben are taking me to the airport, we share some tears and hugs before I'm off on the plane. 

Ben whispered something to me when I left.

"I'll find a way to make us work" is what I think he said.

Maybe he is planning on flying to England. I hope it's not too soon only because I would like to get settled first and spend time with family. No matter how much I love my friends, family always come first.

England. Here I come!