III | The Soldier

"You know of Belcourt's golden adage, yes?"

"Of course," Iyana said as she laid down a cup of tea before Sasha. Straightening to full height, she recited the adage that was engraved in their minds. "Courage, passion, wisdom, and service maketh the perfect woman."

Sasha sighed. "I fear I am far from the perfect woman."

Iyana peered at her knowingly. "I knew it from the moment you woke up that your meeting with your flower did not go well last night. What could have happened that makes you think you are far from perfect, Lady Sasha?"

"Courage... I may not be from the Court of Arms, but I do have a bit of it. Wisdom, quite a little, but I am afraid I do not have enough to convince Belcourt that I belong in the Court of Libraries. Service... well, you do know I am efficient in that regard as we both took all the tests that required one to be in your court. Passion, on the other hand, is what I lack."

"You have passion, Lady Sasha."

"Not the kind of passion I am talking about, Iyana. I am passionate about science and research, for discovering the mysteries of the mind. I am not passionate about..." She let her voice trail off. "You know what I mean!" she said in frustration.

Understanding dawned on Iyana. "You believe you cannot please him in the way you think he expects."

"Is that not what Belles are supposed to do? Please their gentlemen? He left last night with the worst words a man could say on the first meeting with a Belle. And I am telling you, Iyana, I may not have been properly trained to be one, but I am no fool. I know how to read between the lines and that man said words that—that frustrates me so!"

Iyana, for the love of her, did not ask for the words and simply smiled. It was a knowing one and Sasha wondered what it meant. "Belcourt is many things, Lady Sasha, but it is most often right. Trust that you were re-courted for a reason. To be the second woman in Belcourt's history to be re-courted should tell you something. Of all the hundreds of ladies wanting to be in the Court of Flowers, they chose you. Why is that so?"

"That is the answer I intend to find out. I plan to travel to Belcourt on the morrow. I barely had time to ask them questions because I... well, I fainted after they announced that I was re-courted."

Iyana blinked. "Oh."

"Yes. Oh."

Sasha proceeded with her breakfast in silence, Iyana leaving her alone to attend to more duties.

Someone was coming this morning to take her to her fittings and she should be ready.

But two hours later, Sasha was not looking forward to gown fittings at all. She was counting the hours until the morrow when she could go to Belcourt and demand for a different gentleman. And demand answers. Surely, they had a different reason for turning her into a Belle.

Have they not had a good look at her? She was plain in comparison to the other women. Even West, that arrogant, insensitive man, would agree!

Iyana came to announce that someone was here.

"A man?" she asked, silently cursing herself at the terrified tone in her voice.

Iyana chuckled, shaking her head. "No. A lady from Belcourt."

"A Belle?"

"No, I meant someone from inside Belcourt." Her maid walked closer to whisper, "She is in a green cloak."

Sasha blinked. "The Court of Arms? Why would someone from the Palace be here?"

"Hush!"

"Why? Is her presence her supposed to be a secret?"