XLIII | The Royal Master

When Sasha arrived in West's villa, she was immediately bombarded by questions.

"Who did she meet?"

"One of the Maidens," she said, looking at West, Tanner, and Rider, assessing their expressions. She could not find any sign of deception. Unless they were good at it as she was. "West, she is your sister."

At the last word, West took her hand and guided her out of the study and pulled her into his bedchamber, locking the door behind them.

Sasha walked to the center of the room.

With his hands on his hips, he scowled at her, brows fused. "What do you mean the Maiden is my sister?"

Sasha blinked and swallowed. "She is."

He just stood there for a long time looking at her while she searched his face desperately. She wanted to demand for answers, but she knew that she could not do that now. She would have to do it on her own.

"I do not even know what to say."

Sasha took a step forward and held out her hand, showing him the ring. "She told me to give you this. She said that you would know it is her if you see it."

His eyes fluttered down on the ring. His jaw tightened and Sasha's heart sank. "That is my mother's ring."

Sasha took his hand and dropped the ring into his palm and guided it closed with her fingers. She looked into his eyes. "She does not wish to leave Belcourt."

He frowned. "Why?"

"Like me, she considers it home."

His frown grew into a scowl and Sasha saw raw hatred burning into his light blue depths. "And like you, Belcourt has manipulated her."

Sasha let go of his hand and took a step back. "Please, do not say that."

His nostrils flared and he looked away to absently gaze at the window across the room. "What else did she tell you?"

"She told me everything. Why she ordered Gabrielle to follow Willoghby."

"And why was she having Willoghby followed?"

"The prince told her that the intercepted letter was from Willoghby. She thought that she ought to pursue her own investigation. While she needed me to spy on you, she also used Willoghby to spy on the prince."

"Why would she use that bastard to spy on the prince?"

"Willoghby found out that I have a hidden flower. His obsession with me gave him enough reason to find out more about his... contenders." Moistening her lips, Sasha added, "She wanted to know the true enemy of Belcourt."

Sasha knew she was diverting from the instructions given to her by Arielle, but she knew it was for the best. West was wise. If he were who Arielle said he was, Sasha could not give him any reason to suspect that Willoghby had been looking into him instead of the prince, thereby uncovering his secrets. He could question Willoghby and whatever the man told him would not reflect on Arielle's claim. He might suspect, but it would give Sasha enough time to do her an investigation on her own. If he suspected her, he would not push her away because he would want to know more.

He frowned at her. "Belcourt is the enemy, Sasha, for all we know."

His hatred toward Belcourt seemed to have more weight now that his innocence hovered on the edge of Sasha's mind. Could it be true? Could he truly be leading a group that vowed to destroy Belcourt and the current kingdom?

"Believe whatever you wish to believe, West, but Arielle and all ladies of Belcourt, including I, are after one thing and that is to protect our home."