XXXII | Broken Vows

Sasha found West already waiting for her in the garden. In purposeful strides, she approached him and murmured, "We must go."

His brows fused together, he asked, "Have you found something?"

"Yes," she replied before walking away to find a service that would call for Briana. When she returned to his side, she said, "Come."

Together, they exited the Flower Garden and walked beside the road. The trees were green, the grass moist. It would have been a lovely day with the nearby lake mirroring the open blue skies above, with the frequent chirping of the birds hidden in the trees. But they did not have the luxury of time to stop and appreciate.

"I cannot find any record of the child that was born here. The easiest way to do that was to check into the names of the women that were courted eighteen years after. But none of those women were courted on the same day the birth was recorded."

"Perhaps she was courted—"

"It is not done in Belcourt. Whether or not a lady can attend the Courting Ceremony for whatever reason, she will still be courted. She may fall ill on that day, but her courting will be recorded on the same day of her birth."

"Then what are you suggesting? That Belcourt has deliberately lost her records?"

Sasha's jaw tightened. "Or someone made certain I cannot find it."

West's exasperated sigh made her turn her head and look up at him. "And there is something else."

He looked at her, eyes bare of emotions. "What?"

She looked behind them. Her stagecoach was approaching. "It is about your mother."

She watched him clench his jaw. "What of her?"

"Later."

*****

Their journey back to Coulway was quiet, both of them deep in their own thoughts.

Sasha, for once, was not even aware of West's presence for her mind was still reeling from her discovery and Gabrielle's lies.

When Sasha ordered for Iyana, Briana, and the cook to go downtown and shop for supper, West threw her a curious look. "It has been some time since the duke and I have shared a fine dinner together," she told Iyana. "And oh, do not forget the ham, Iyana."

With the three servants gone, Sasha led West upstairs.

"We cannot go to your villa. Gabrielle approached me in Belcourt. We cannot give her any reason to wonder why we need the privacy of your villa. She could be on her way here by now."

West followed her into her bedchamber. Sasha locked the door whirled around to face him, speaking in haste.

"I had to be certain that your mother indeed left Belcourt. I searched for her records and discovered something."

West frowned. "I have told you she did leave Belcourt. My father was certain of that. She left alone."

She nodded. "And now I am certain of that as well."

"What did you discover?"

Sasha lit the lamps and closed the curtains. Turning to face him, she said, "She was banished to the island."

West remained motionless in the middle of the room. "She was no longer a part of Belcourt. How could she be banished?"

"Whenever a Lady of Belcourt leaves Belcourt, she is not truly free of Belcourt."

"Whyever not?"

Sasha moistened her lips. "Any lady of Belcourt who wishes to leave has to sign the vow."