XXIII | Thunder and Rain

The thunder and rain started early the next day.

Everyone was forced to stay indoors, back into the comforts of the countless rooms in the Humbrick estate. Most had turned to their old favorite parlor games and music and dancing. By luncheon, it seemed that the storm was not letting down.

Sasha made an untoward decision to pack up and leave when Ruby said that she was leaving with Aaron who had to immediately return to Coulway for an important estate matter. The decision to go with the pair was encouraged by Sasha's own concern for Iyana and Briana who had not yet sent any note of whether they had arrived safely in Coulway.

After she was done packing, glad to finally be leaving Humbrick and the constant sounds of the hundreds of people all over the estate, Sasha set out to find West to tell him that she was leaving for her quiet life in her villa.

"I already know, Sasha, that you can be quite insane and a little adventurous on some occasions, but this is just beyond ridiculous." He waved at the window that displayed nothing but the heavy rain and wind, washing the landscape outside with no other colors but white. It did not help that thunder rumbled as West spoke his last word.

"Coulway is just under an hour away, West."

"Which could be two under this weather. Or eternity if you bloody die out there." He shook his head. "You are staying here."

Sasha hesitated. "Ruby and Aaron are not planning to leave now. We are waiting for the storm to lighten a little before we depart. And I heard a number of people have decided to leave as well."

"Did you hear that?" he asked as another thunder rumbled outside. "I do not think this storm is going to mellow any time soon, Sasha."

"I need to know if Iyana and Briana have safely arrived. I have not received a note from them."

He nodded. "I understand your concern, but if you set out now in this weather, darling, you are putting yourself in danger. You go home the moment the storm stops."

"But—"

"I will strap you to your bed if you as much as set foot outside this estate, Sasha. Do not take my warning lightly."

Sasha looked out the window once more. Perhaps he was right. "The moment the storm stops, you take me home."

A small, satisfied smile tugged at his lips. "At the very last drop of rain."

Sasha nodded and started to turn, intending to find Ruby and Aaron to tell them that she was not coming—and perhaps also try to encourage them to do the same—when West caught her by the arm and pulled her close to him.

Her eyes widened in near panic, looking around the busy parlor. Everyone was discussing a new game the Lord of Hern suggested, all eager for more entertainment. "What are you doing?" she hissed when he bent his head close to her ear.

"You smell of roses."

"Compliments to the Lady Renee's rose soap," she said, pushing away. "West, we are not alone—"

Sasha managed to stop the yelp of surprise when he swiftly turned, carrying her with him. Suddenly, she found herself pressed against him just outside the open doorway of the parlor that opened to an extended room which was currently unoccupied, but still very much open.

His mouth found hers as though it was the easiest thing to do. Sasha chuckled against the kiss, her arms wounding around his neck, laughing at his bold, absurd act. But the laughter was soon gone as he pressed her against the wall. Their breathing turned heavy and needy, his hands seeking.