XXXIV | Everleigh Afternoon

Sasha never had the chance to see Everleigh for what it was.

The last time she was there, she had not been to anywhere but the parlor, West's bedchamber, and the study. She was gone as fast as she came.

But that afternoon, after she woke up in the bedchamber provided for her, her body still tired despite the long hours of slumber, she felt the heat of the sun. Her body felt heavy, drained of energy, but she forced herself out of bed and padded to the window.

Outside, she saw the vast gardens beginning to bloom. And beyond that, the woods.

Looking about, Sasha found Seven sleeping just under her bed, his head poking out. She smiled and softly walked to the washbasin.

As she discarded her nightdress, intending to get into the fresh light muslin dress laid out for her, a knock on the door came.

"Sasha?"

"Just a moment," she replied, hurrying to get into the dress, pulling the sleeves up her shoulders. "Please, come in." West entered the room and she turned around to face the mirror. "Would you help me, please?"

He walked toward her and buttoned her back. She watched him through the mirror and hid a smile. His brows were furrowed with concentration as his hands worked.

"You must be famished," he said, his timbre collected and controlled.

"Very much," she admitted, turning to face him. "I do remember your kitchen serves one of the best meals."

"It is amongst the best." He rang for a meal be delivered to her bedchamber and they both waited in silence, hesitant to break the calmness they shared.

He was patient as she ate, declining her invitation to join her. Seven had woken and was now on her lap, smelling her dress and growling at West's hand when he attempted to free Sasha of his weight.

"He misses you," West dryly said, glowering at the dog.

"And I miss him as much," she said, scratching Seven's head, but her eyes were locked on West's.

She thought she saw his lips twitch into a smile.

They spent more minutes just sitting there by the window while she ate, their gaze flickering back and forth to each other in such calmness she had never experienced before whenever she was with him. It was tranquil, a soothing caress.

If this was a compromise, then mayhap she was doing something right.

"It is a fine afternoon." His eyes were equally soothing as his voice. "Would you like to go for a walk?"

Sasha did not have to think twice.

She needed fresh air.

And even though her body felt tired, the walk seemed to be giving her back the physical strength.

They walked side by side, him with his arms at his back and her hands filled with wildflowers.

"When do you intend to return my father's journal?" he asked, his tone light and innocent, a contrast to his chosen subject.

"When I am certain I can trust you enough."

"I hope you kept it in a safe place."

"It is in a safe place," she said. "It is in Belcourt."

His eyes widened in surprise. "Tell me you are jesting, Sasha."

She shook her head. "The best place to hide it from Belcourt is right under its nose. And the best place to keep it safe from you is placing it where you can never gain entrance."