XLV | The Room Beneath the Garden

It was not long before everyone in Belcourt found out about the raid. The source was not from within Belcourt but from outside.

The gossip spread like wildfire, from one court to another. The true nature of the Belles was finally out and all of Belcourt was astounded, most particularly the younger ladies who had little knowledge of other courts.

Now, everyone knew of the presence of an enemy.

It was a secret gentlemen's club, they said.

And a Belle was responsible for the exposure of their existence.

Who was the Belle?

Sasha! The re-courted lady!

Sasha saved the kingdom.

Belcourt was saved, but only for now.

The Palace issued a statement through the Mistresses that it was indeed a Belcourt mission that led to the raid, adding a mandate that all ladies within the institution were required to practice utter secrecy, most particularly the ladies who had any contact to the outside due to the nature of their tasks and most importantly around the children in the Manor.

Additional specific mandates were distributed amongst the Belles. More weight was added upon them and their obligation to Belcourt as the presence of the Royal Circus had finally been confirmed.

Trust no Gentlemen of Belcourt. That was the first mandate. Every man was an enemy from now on.

Lady Mariam found Sasha in her bedchamber in the Court of Flowers, her blue eyes serious. But the way she spoke to Sasha as she said, "Your presence is requested in the Palace, Sasha," indicated that perhaps the Mistress had finally accepted her as one of them.

As the woman escorted Sasha to the Palace in a small stagecoach, she turned to Sasha. "I am disappointed that I was deliberately left out of the mission, Sasha, but it was a Maiden who gave the orders and I could not complain. They have always taken delicate investigations in secret and they have always—always—been proven to be successful. This one was not an exception for you have succeeded tremendously. Belcourt is at an advantage because of you."

Sasha smiled. "Thank you."

The woman turned her blonde head to face the road. "And I find it a great honor that you chose to stay with us in the Flower Garden."

Sasha lifted her chin, her face hard and her eyes determined. "I have started this mission, my lady, but it is far from finished."

Lady Mariam nodded and a small smile curled her lips. "You have become a true Belle, Sasha."

For the first time, Sasha felt proud. It was odd, really, but she was proud.

Arielle entered the drawing room the moment Lady Mariam left. Beautiful as the last time Sasha saw her, graceful as ever.

This time, she was not wearing her cloak. She was wrapped in an intricate white gown, a goddess in a palace, fated to be there.

"Sasha," Arielle greeted, surprising Sasha with an embrace. "I am very pleased to see you."

Sasha cleared her throat, immensely feeling awkward to be wrapped in a Maiden's embrace. It seemed surreal.

Arielle stepped away, the smile on the woman's face genuinely proud.

"We do not know each other, Sasha, but I do feel that we shall be the best of friends."

Sasha's brows cocked high. "I intend to leave for Strait soon, my lady. I do not think we can have more time to be... friends."