V | The Mission

"I know enough of Belcourt to be aware that the only way a Belle can escape Belcourt's grasp is if she can pay her way out," he calmly said to her. "For many of you, it would take years, almost half of the rest of your life, to summon enough to get your freedom."

Sasha blinked in disbelief. He was overflowing with certainty.

"I can give you enough to be free from Belcourt if you can do what I will ask of you."

Sasha moistened her lips. He was talking about a great deal of money. Was he even aware of how much her freedom was worth? It could be three times the price of his estate. Blazes, it could even be worth more than his title!

She had heard of Belles paying the dowry they owed Belcourt. Some married off to rich businessmen and even some titled ones. But they were not a ton of ladies, mere a lucky or a very determined few.

Sasha was not one of them for Belcourt was home. She was safe there.

And yet, here was this man, suggesting that he could give her enough money to be free. Sasha did not want to be free. She wanted to be free of the world outside Belcourt. This very fine afternoon of being abducted merely two days out of Belcourt was enough proof of why she never wanted to get out.

But he did not have to know that so she decided to humor him.

"And what do you wish from me? What do you want me to do?"

He looked at both ends of the alleyway before turning back to fix his light blue eyes on her. Sasha swallowed. He was not far enough. His warmth was a gentle relief from the cold air, but she felt uncomfortable.

"I need you to find someone in Belcourt."

Whatever fears she might have, whatever she had imagined him to demand from her was rendered feeble to the one he was suggesting.

Her eyes widened in horror. "No!"

He frowned. "Have you not heard my proposition? I am offering you freedom from that place."

"That place is my home, sir," she said.

"My lord," he corrected.

"I care not. Did you not just say you wish me to be separate from your estate and your title? I happen to also agree. The title you hold is null where our relationship is concerned."

He acknowledged her words with a slight shrug, "Why?" and asked instead.

"Why what?"

"Why do you say no to my proposition?"

Sasha scoffed. "You may claim to know enough about Belcourt, sir, but you know nothing. We have rules we need to follow. We have laws. You do not know the punishments I will be facing if I will be caught searching Belcourt's grounds for someone for you in exchange for monetary reward. That shall be considered by Belcourt a form of treason."

It was his turn to scoff. "And what does Belcourt know of treason? It rears women to prostitute themselves to men. What rules could such an institution uphold when its very products barely hold one?"

Sasha shook with fury. Her nostrils flared. And then she chuckled. "I hold many rules, sir and I believe now is the best time to tell you." She arched her brow at him. "One, you do not pull me into any dark, filthy alleyways. Two, you do not see me without prior notice. Three, you do not propose anything close to the one you just suggested. Four, you wait for any sexual gratification from me until I am ready to prostitute myself to you. Five, you do not expect anything else."

She finally saw his face register something other than a deadpan expression, a glint of anger in his eyes. "You do not give me the rules. I give them."