•S1 E8: Once Bitten, Twice Shy (1)•

Nya carefully pulled the cloth off of a skeleton. You peeked over the table at it and slowly reached up your hand to touch it. She pushed it back down with the same speed as she explained, "Some villagers unearthed the remains of this Fangpyre a few miles away. It predates the Golden Age and must be hundreds of years old."

She used something blue to scan into the fang bones. "Although the venom in the fangs of the Fangpyre genetically mutate human cells into reptilian, I've learned there could be a way to stop the effects without having to create an anti venom. If one is able to wildly raise their heart rate, hypothetically it could reverse the venom's effects. Resulting in... diminished... uh—excuse me, is someone wearing perfume? I am severely allergic to perfume."

"Eheh," Jay chuckled nervously, leaning over and whispering something along the lines of 'men's cologne' to Kai. You rolled your head over on the table, very into Nya's explanation of the snake skeleton. Kai said something back to Jay that made the rest of the ninja at the table crack up. Jay just looked kinda sad.

Idiot.

You shook your head to dispel any sort of dark thoughts as Zane stood up and Cole sighed, "Ah, looks like class is over. Time to start stomping some Serpentine before they find any Fangblades."

"Sounds like a plan," Kai grinned.

"I'm excited to join," Zane added as he led the others out of the room. He'd been getting along a lot better ever since he found out who he was. He finally could understand jokes and could actually laugh with everyone else. It was nice.

You couldn't help but notice that Jay lingered behind his brothers for a few seconds before walking back into the bridge. "Uh, hey, uh, Nya," he stuttered, "I'm sorry. The reason I was—You know—I went to Kai because—Look, what I'm trying to say is—"

"I know," Nya smiled at him, and Jay's eyes lit up for a second before she said, "It's just a cruel joke. I should be fine. Please, go fight snakes."

"No no no no," Jay blurted, "I was trying to impress you." You giggled, toying with a rib thing on the skeleton. Jay shot you a dirty look. "Before Sensei left, he said our heart was the key to unlocking our true potential."

"Impress me?" Nya sighed sheepishly, putting a hand to her face. "But I look so..."

"Cute!"
"Fantastic."

You and Jay both said something at the same time, and you had to rest your head on the table to stop yourself from collapsing with laughter. Nya's face turned absolutely pink. The blue ninja picked himself back up, saying, "Look, maybe, if you'll let me, I can take you to some big fancy restaurant. You don't have to, if you don't want to..."

"You mean like a date?" Nya blushed.

"Um, yeah?" Jay said carefully, knowing that he could set off a bomb at any given moment. You watched them curiously. Why was it so hard for them to talk to each other? They were best friends, and friends talked a lot.

Oh, who were you kidding. They were totally in love. You giggled behind your hand.

Nya flushed even more. "Sure! I'd love to."

You poked your head up between them. "Can I come too? Please?"

Jay stared at you and opened his mouth to say something before Nya beat him to it, smoothing down your hair in contrast to how all of the boys would constantly ruffle it. "Sure, (Y/N). I mean, it's not like we can't. We can't just leave you on this ship by yourself. Now, I have to go before the perfume toxins enter my bloodstream and I go into shock."

"Shock?" You wondered aloud as she left the room.

Nya giggled to herself. "I'll explain later, (Y/N). See you tonight!"