Don't Explain

03
Don't Explain

Around 3 hours into their road trip, Wade wanted to jump out of the moving car. Between Jason singing along to underground rock music, the shotty A/C, and the lack of isolation, Wade could hardly deal. The incessant phone calls didn't help one bit.

Wade sighed and leaned his head on the window. He shut his eyes, deciding sleep was the best option. The sun had barely begun to peep through the clouds.

Jason turned the music down. "Don't tell me you're going to sleep on me. Am I that boring?" He asked.

"Maybe it's not about you at all, maybe I'm just tired," Said Wade without opening his eyes.

"Nah, that's not it. You're avoiding something." Said Jason, eyes flitting over to Wade for a second.

Wade cracked an eye open. "W..Why'd you say that?"

"Your phone's been buzzing like crazy since the bar last night. Whoever's calling must've really pissed you off."

Wade shifted in his seat. He turned to Jason, arms crossed. "They didn't piss me off, I'm not pissed. I'm just... Not in the mood to talk."

"So why don't you pick up the phone and tell them that?"

"Because that requires talking," Wade said as if Jason should've already known. He twisted the bracelet on his wrist.

Jason snorted. "Man, you're a real piece of work."

"Yeah, a Van Gogh original. What's your point?"

"Point is, you've got this thing about you, layers and shit." Said Jason. He glanced at Wade, namely the way he fiddled with his bracelet.

Wade turned away. He stared out the window, brows pursed. He didn't want to talk about it. He didn't want to fill the entire road trip with Jason Todd of all people peeling back the layers of his psyche.

Jason peeked over at Wade again. He noticed the distance in Wade's eyes. He turned back to the road, thinking.

"You do that a lot, dont you?" Jason asked.

Wade sighed, realizing Jason would never shut up. "Do what?"

"Shut down, withdraw..."

"Jason, I seriously don't need a psych eval right now. Spare me." Wade snapped.

"Dude, fuckin' relax, it was just an observation."

"Well keep your half-baked observations to yourself."

"I'm just trying to get to know you."

"Why? It's not like this'll be a thing. You're just a warm body when I need it, nothing more, so let's not complicate this."

"Say no more," Said Jason. His jaw clenched, the veins in his hands bulged as he gripped the steering wheel tighter.

They fell into a tense silence. Both angry but too stubborn to come down from it.

Wade caught the sight of a gas station up ahead. "Stop here. I have to take a piss," He said.

Jason sighed. He pulled into the gas station and stopped in a parking space.

Wade was out of the car before it came to a complete stop. He rushed into the convenience store. He moved past the register in a blur.