Chapter 8 - Awe

Malachi Peak stayed relatively quiet in the coming weeks. School started, the season began to turn, and nobody seemed went missing. Nothing out of the ordinary appeared to be happening, if you discount all the supernatural community conducting their business. The Pentacle used this quiet period to train, or more specifically prepare Ivy.

Part of her wondered if her mother knew what she was or if Gale Vale really had no clue the power her daughter held. Ivy's childhood consisted of jumping from state to state every couple of years. At first, Ivy loved the adventure, making a game out of. When she entered high school and eventually college, she craved stability. That's what she had found in Malachi Peak, Cassie and Hunter, especially him after Cassie went missing.

Ivy tried not to grow frustrated as she failed in the exercises. Most of the time she came away with little burns from Ella or chapped lips and windblown hair from Aura. Marina took charge of teaching Ivy spells and other things that came with being a witch, including sensing other creatures. Despite having a somewhat physical element, Ivy really enjoyed the spell casting as it dealt with herbs and other plants. For the actual combat training, that was a different story.

"Ella, I literally can't do this anymore." Ivy collapsed onto the grass and threw her hands over her face. Sweat dripped off her, as Aura had put her through a grueling workout that included running and dodging fireballs from Ella. Whatever little pudge she had gained was slowly melting off, or transforming into muscle.

"Up." Ella's voice held no remorse as she extended a hand toward her friend. "You can't slack off. You've missed almost 20-something years of your life being a witch. Gotta make up for lost time."

Ivy took it unwillingly and groaned. Rolling her eyes, Ella squeezed a little hard and made her hand hotter until Ivy yanked it away.

"You bi.tch. That hurt." She glared daggers at the eldest member of the Pentacle and held her hand to her chest, exaggerating the pain. "I will get you back for that."

Aura sent a gust of wind their way, practically knocking the two of them over. Ivy and Ella turned their heads slowly and menacingly. A mischievous glint reflected in their eyes, and Aura's own widened. They approached her slowly, and with a raise of her hand, Ivy boxed Aura in and vines descended down. Ella went to form a fireball, but Ivy stopped her.

"You do that, and you hurt my babies." She pointed at the vines that headed toward Aura's feet. "Earth isn't like the rest of the elements, except water as Marina can feel what the rest of us feel. Somehow I'm on a different level of plants."

"What do you—" Aura's question was cut short by the vines flipping her upside down. "Ivy! Put me down!"

Ivy giggled before bursting into full on belly laughter when Ella, who had been giggling as well, joined the other witch in the air. Ella immediately went serious and crossed her arms over her chest. The atmosphere warmed around the three of them as Ella's annoyance level went up.

"If you don't put me down, I will burn these vines," she narrowed her eyes, "whether they're your babies or not."

Panic flashed across Ivy's features as she didn't want the plants to suffer due to her actions. The vines unraveled just enough that Ella and Aura didn't fall on their necks and hurt themselves. However, they still fell and landed on their butts with a thump.

"You and those vines..." Ella muttered as she dusted herself off. She extended herself on her back and interlaced her fingers behind her head.

"Now, as I was asking, what do you mean you're on a different level with them?" Aura sat back on her elbows and stared up at Ivy.