Chapter 17 - Fever

After the stress and anticipation of the Council convening, the entire town could have used a drink. The night of the meeting, everyone stayed in their respective corners. Creatures didn't want to risk the ire of their leaders. Instead, everyone knew that Saturday would be the day to let go of all the stress.

The Thirsty Fork was packed from wall to wall. You could barely cross the room without having to snake your way through sweaty bodies. A DJ dominated the back third of the space. The front half was intended to be more relaxing, a chance to drink and let go, but the thumping music infiltrated every available space. The dancing spread inch by inch until it consumed the whole bar.

As soon as Ella, Aura, Marina and Ivy stepped foot into the bar, they knew none of them would leave this bar sober. Ivy had already warned Hunter, who had opted to stay home to work. None of the other three had significant others to worry about so they kept their eyes trained on the handsome lads at hand. Ivy bit back a laugh seeing their eyes go wide and the invisible drool form at the corner of their lips.

"Oh he's cute!" Marina squealed pointing at one while taking a long sip of her cocktail.  "Aura, you can't tell me he's not cute."

"Also a fairy." Aura shrugged her shoulders and flipped back her fiery locks. "You just can't pick 'em."

"Nothing wrong with fairies," Marina muttered, pursing her lips and knitting her eyebrows together.

Before anyone could chime in, Ella came back with a set of shots. She handed them out one by one. Ivy's eyebrow shot up, head snapping at attention to the tray. Shots always spelled trouble for her.

"Courtesy of our friend at the bar." Ella held her glass in the direction of Lucian who sent her a wink. Ella's cheeks grew pink just enough that the others noticed.

"Is our little Ella flirting and with the bartender no less?" Aura cooed, ribbing her friend. "Damn girl, get it."

"Whatever." Ella rolled her eyes and held the shot up higher. "Here's to surviving our first Council meeting. May we never have to go through that pain ever again!"

Whooping, all their heads flew back as they downed the shot. Ella handed out a second one, despite the playful groans. The group repeated the movement, and their faces pulled at the burning sensation. That sensation remained with Ivy long after the alcohol made its way through her system. She figured it was due to the fact that she didn't drink very much and whatever Lucian had given them had been extra strong.  She downed her Rum and Coke, even sucking on a few ice cubes trying to manage that heat that consumed her. It started as a slight smolder at the back of her neck, growing until it blanketed her from head to toe.

Slipping off her cardigan, she stripped down to her red-wine-colored satin body-con dress. The v-neck exposed the better part of her chest, thin straps just holding it up. Marina's eyes grew saucers at the sight. She had never seen the earth user dressed in such a way.

"I can't believe Hunter let you walk out of the house like that," Marina whistled admiring the bold outfit.

"Oh, he saw it, and he just about begged me to stay home." A coy smile tugged at Ivy's rouge lips. She shrugged innocently, holding her hands up. "I told him I had an important night with my girls planned."

The heat managed to subside, but the relief didn't last long. If anything, she became more agitated because she couldn't strip down further. The already thin, barely-there dress felt too constricting. The earth witch almost wished she had opting for a crop-top and jean shorts. Now that would have taken everyone by surprise.

Ivy slipped away from the group to order more drinks, pleased when Lucian walked over. His eyes widened at the sight of her, either from the dress choice or her previous threats. She didn't mind either way.