Chapter 27 - Devils

Mammon's icy blue eyes trained themselves on her, running the length of her body. Ivy shivered involuntarily under his gaze. She knew this day, or rather evening, would come, but she never wanted to think about it. This ultimate devil of all devils had occupied her thoughts the week following their interaction before she was able to put him out of her head.

"What? Can't believe you get to see this handsome face again?" A smug smirk pulled at his lips as he made his way toward her, each step exaggerated.

Whenthey first crossed paths, Mammon had cast a hypnotic net over her, catching herin his crosshairs and rendering her helpless. This time, the trick didn't work,and she felt her power coursing through her veins. She wouldn't fall victim tohim again. Ivy felt clear-headed, watching him make his way toward her. His allblack outfit cast him in the role of a panther stalking his prey.

Mammon reached her side, running a finger over her arm and across her shoulders. A vine jolted out, the finger catching on a thorn and breaking his composure.

"Shit," he muttered, sucking on the blood that had escaped. He stood in front of her and blocked her vision. "Control over your powers, that's new."

Ivy ignored him and stood her ground. She wouldn't fall for the bait, keeping her eyes focused on the back wall. While she knew she could resist his powers, she wasn't confident she could if their eyes met. Mammon must have sensed her doubt. Twirling his fingers in her curls, he brought his face even with hers. Her lip curled back in disgust as the unwanted touching. He did his best to win her attention, but she refused to give him the satisfaction of looking at him in the eye.

"You little witch," Mammon growled at her lack of cooperation. His hand jutted out, pushing her backward until he had her pinned against the wall, the final blow breaking her concentration. His hands went to either side of her head and locked her in place.

Mammon got his wish as Ivy's chocolate brown irises locked with his. The cool, magnetic feeling washed over and paralyzed her. However, unlike last time, she still felt her connection to the vines woven around her.

"You're...awful." She tried to hurl the words at him, but they barely made it past her lips. "Why can't...you..."

"What's that? Cat got your tongue?" Mammon lowered his head to her ear. He breathed in deeply, his head lulling back with closed eyes. "There's something different about you. I can't place it."

Ivy's mouth stayed shut – no doubt a side effect of his influence over her. Her nose scrunched up as she threw daggers at him with her eyes. Hands balling into fist, she willed all her energy into her vines to cause some sort of distraction. She only needed a second to get away and go on the offensive.

Mammon sucked in another breath, his eyes closing to focus. "Something has changed about you, my dear witch."

Moving his head back in front of hers, his hand ran through her curls. The vines moved quicker than he could. The ones across her chest whipped out, the thorns catching his face. Swinging his body back, Mammon's hand shot to the gash on his cheek. He gasped at the sight of blood on his hand, his mouth gaping open. His eyebrows knitted together, the icy blue irises darkening into a cobalt blue.

Using his pain to her advantage, Ivy rushed to the other side of the room. Mammon turned to face her, his movements deliberately slow. Anger flashed behind those glacial eyes, but before he could make any sort of step toward her, a snarl sounded in the distance. Both of their heads shot to the side in an attempt to identify where it came from.

A body tumbled through the door, catching Mammon and Ivy off guard. She stumbled a few steps forward, regaining her balance in time to see Griffin occupying the space just behind her. Surprise with a dash of confusion filled her gaze as she watched him take labored breaths.