Chapter 18 - Relief

The music thumped through the walls until it permeated every part of the building. Ivy could feel it despite being a floor beneath it. Her eyes fluttered open. She hadn't passed out, but she didn't feel her best either. She had thrown up twice, in front of a complete stranger; felt as if she were coming down with something; and to top it all off completely embarrassed herself.

"Hey, hey now, you can't pass out on me." The man gently shook Ivy. His fingers burned into her skin, and she wondered if he felt the same sensation. Even if they didn't leave literal marks, she would be feeling it long after they parted. "What did you drink?"

"Shots...rum and Coke...your average stuff," Ivy mumbled. The man set her on the cold counter. He turned the facet on, and the next thing she felt was a damp paper towel on her forehead.

"Are you sure that's all you had?"

Concern filled every inch of his voice. Strange he would put this much effort into taking care of her. Most men would have searched out the woman's friends. She had seen it enough times in college, especially having been one of the searched-for friends numerous times.

When Ivy didn't answer right away, he took her face in his hands and forced her to look at him. Her eyes shot open at the contact on her jaw. Her chestnut irises locked with his hazel ones, their faces level. He straightened up, giving himself a few inches over her. Her eyes transfixed themselves on his lips. Ivy licked her own as her mind went to a not-so-innocent place. She raked her eyes across the planes of his cheeks until she met his gaze, her hand moving to rest on his at her cheek.

Time froze the longer they kept their eyes locked on one another. Ivy had never seen this man around town, yet something deep down told her she knew him. His eyes bounced from her eyes to her lips and back up. His lips curved into a slight grin, but he remained frozen in place. Recognition flashed in his eyes before being covered with a sheen of confusion.

"Ivy? Ivy? You down here?" Marina's voice echoed through the hallway and into the bathroom, interrupting the moment. The man jumped back, taking with him the warmth on her cheek. A dull ache settled in the back of her mind, like when Ivy caught the flu.

"We hadn't heard from you so—" The door swung open to reveal three very shocked and not sober witches who barged in on a stranger with their friend.

"Get away from our friend." Aura didn't hesitate to use her powers to push him back. The man flew into the wall and to the ground.

"No, no, he saved me." Ivy flung herself off the counter and in their line of fire, looking over at her shoulder at him through the mess of her curls. Aura stood defensively in front of Marina and Ella, her eyes clear as day, the little alcohol she ingested having zero effect on her.

"Griffin, is that you?" Marina pushed past Aura, head tilting to the side in disbelief. "I heard you got back a month ago, but...."

"Griffin?" Ella turned her attention to the man, a manicured eyebrow raised.

Ivy recognized the name, somewhere far back in her brain, but she couldn't put a face to it. Turning on her heal, Ivy watched Griffin stand up and wipe off the invisible dust. He towered over all of them, the span of his shoulders swallowing up their frames. His once perfect hair was now disheveled from the wind tunnel Aura had sent his way. Running a hand through his mane, he sighed and met their eyes.

"Yes, I'm back." He smiled, but it didn't meet his eyes. He moved out from around Ivy, careful to avoid brushing her shoulders.

Aura and Ella watched him suspiciously, but Marina welcomed him with open arms. Granted, she was giddy from the intoxication so her happiness level was at an all time high. She enveloped him as best she could since her short arms were no match for his size. As she brought him in for the embrace, Marina stiffened every so slightly. Ivy only noticed since she stood right next to them. Aura and Ella made no motion that they had seen it.