Chapter 24 - Premonition

Every time they thought they found a path, the Pentacle stumbled upon another dead end. The sun fell deeper in the sky, and twilight began to show itself. The group couldn't keep wandering the forest just hoping this Helga witch would show herself. Eventually they'd have to turn back, if they even knew the way back.

"I'm over this," Ella muttered as she kicked a rock. She leaned against the tree, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand.

"We have to keep going," Marina urged as she weaved her way through some trees. Aura wasn't too far behind her.

"Ivy, c'mon, tell them." Ella turned back to her, pleading with her eyes. "It's getting late and we can't get stuck in a forest, especially one we know nothing about."

"Ella might have a point," Ivy conceded on her behalf. She wanted to find Helga and get this mess sorted out but not at the risk of being stuck in the forest at night.

"We have to keep going," Aura turned on her heel and descended on them. "Helga is out here. Calliope wouldn't lead us to a dead end."

"How long has it been since she's even seen this Helga?" Silence met Ella's astute observation. "What if Helga died or moved? Plus have either of you even heard of her?"

Marina stopped and found her way back to the three of them. "I heard stories of a forest witch, but we never met her."

"Probably for good reason," Aura pointed out. "She likely didn't want to be bound as covens traditionally are."

"On top of that, I do feel something." Marina surveyed the land around them. "There is a presence. I can't place it. Ivy, do you feel a disturbance or something in the greenery?"

Ivy closed her eyes and focused on the land beneath her feet. Other than the four of them, she couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary. Animals ran in the distance, tangling with Mother Nature, but nothing major stood out. With a shake of her head, she opened her eyes to a large cabin looming behind them. She raised her hand and pointed a trembling figure at the structure.

"What the..." Ella muttered, registering building with wide eyes. "How the hell did that get there?"

"It's always been here," a voice called from the front porch. "I've been waiting for you four for a long time."

"How did you know were would be arriving?" Aura narrowed her eyes at the shadowy figure.

A woman approached the edge of the porch, her hair swinging in braids. A wry smile played at the edge of her lips as she studied the group. Her eyes slid over each one, ending with Ivy. Her gaze made Ivy squirm, but Marina's voice won back the woman's attention.

"How did you know we were coming?" Marina steadied her voice, channeling as much confidence as she could. "Did you have a premonition about us?"

"Call it a premonition. Call it whatever you want." The woman whipped her hair around and disappeared into the house. "I knew you four would be at my door sooner or later."

The four witches exchanged looks before following her inside. When Ivy slipped in, the door immediately shut behind her. The inside of the small structure reflected what she envisioned a cabin in the woods to be. Basic chairs surrounded the fireplace in a half circle, while a bare bones bed lay in the furthest corner. Dark curtains lined the windows, and little to no art hung on the walls. However, stacks of books littered the floor along with notebooks and maps.

"Come, sit. I've made tea." Ivy groaned internally but accepted the tea. The Pentacle took a seat around the circular table. "Name's Helga, but you knew that. Calliope send you?"