Chapter 14 - Healing

Voices and light flooded Ivy's senses before she opened her eyes. She couldn't make out the words, but anxiousness and dread bridged the gap. Flashes of Ella running toward her and losing consciousness played like a film behind her eyes. She shook her head, making a mess of her curls, and gripped whatever fabric lay under her hands. The scene looped endlessly until her cameo played. After one final loop when the Ivy in the scene lost consciousness, her brown eyes shot open.

"Ivy." The voice came from beside her, dripping with pure terror.

Ivy shot up like a bullet to an upright position, now realizing she was in her bedroom. Ella lay beside her, still knocked unconscious. Her bloody shirt had been replaced with one of Ivy's. The earth witch tried to look down, but her vision got away with her.

"Ivy, it's okay." Marina came into view, the source of the voice, and put her hand over Ivy's. Peace filled every nerve in Ivy's body as she succumbed to Marina's power. Even after Marina removed her hand, Ivy's body preferred to bask in whatever Marina had done than process what had happened.

Aura sat next to her, fast asleep in one of the armchairs. A fuzzy blanket covered her. She stirred in her sleep and rolled to the other side. The pillow behind her head fell to the ground in the process. Aura jolted awake as her head hit the edge of the chair's back.

"Oh Ivy. You're awake." Aura let out a sigh and pulled her legs underneath her.

"What happened? Why's Ella still asleep? Why are we in my bedroom?" Ivy looked between the two witches. Despite the calm coming from Marina, Ivy's anxiety powered through.

"Ivy, one step at a time." Aura moved to the other side of the bed by Ella. She ran a hand over her forehead to check her temperature. Ella stirred, but her eyes remained closed.

Next, Aura tugged the t-shirt up to reveal a healed piece of skin. It was lightly pink like a scar, but where the gash had been was completely gone. Ivy's head jerked back in surprise. She could have sworn Ella was bleeding out when she caught her. Ivy gestured between herself and Ella in a way to ask a question without using words.

"Ivy," Marina forced Ivy to look at her with a gentle hand, "when did you learn how to heal people?"

Ivy shook her head, closing her eyes. She had never learned that skill. It wasn't something she knew how to do. Something else must have happened.

"No, I didn't..." Ivy trailed off, her eyes zoning out past them. "I was just so worried about Ella. She went down and we couldn't lose her."

"Your hand was over hers when we caught up to both of you," Aura stated covering the spot back up. "You were both out cold, your hands also drenched in blood. Before we carried you to the car, we checked her over. The gash was knitting itself closed. You were out cold so we couldn't ask you what had happened."

"Whatever you did to heal her used all of your energy," Marina finished, playing with one of Ivy's curls. "You likely saved her, Ivy."

Ivy looked down at Ella, who looked like a peaceful angel rather than the witty devil she enjoyed playing. The same witch who loved to tease Ivy to no end had almost perished. Ivy's heartstrings pulled, and water filled the edge of her vision. She took a deep breath to make herself realize the Ella was still alive and well. They would all live to fight another day.

"Did you two discover new powers as well?" Ivy inquired as she gestured for water to quench her thirst.

Aura and Marina shared a look between the two of them and dipped their heads. Ivy knew that meant they had before they even opened their mouths. Marina gestured for Aura to go first.