Chapter Three

I was nervous as hell that morning. We'd been acting all cute and giggly around each other since we thought up our plan. He would let his hand linger on mine for longer than usual. We would spend more time around each other than we usually did. We would stare at one another in classes. Not noticeable - but enough so that when he "asked me out" people would think we actually fancied each other,

"Listen, Newt, I've really liked you for ages, and... well... I was wondering if maybe you'd be my boyfriend?" Minho asked shyly. Jeez, he was a bloody good actor!

I grinned back at him with my most genuine smile, imagining that Tommy was there instead of him. I nodded. 'I'd love to be your boyfriend" I replied. He pulled me into a hug, and I hugged him back, squeezing him tightly. I heard girls awwing all around us, and smiled happily.

Teresa looks victorious. I can almost see her crossing my name off her list of things standing between her and Tommy. Her manicured red nails dig into my arm when she comes over to talk to us, leaving tiny pink welts on my arm. I subtly step backwards and her hand falls to her side.

Tommy isn't even watching.

Later, I'm back at Minho's. He's insisting that Tommy was watching, and that he turned away when Teresa came over, but I know he's just trying to make me feel better. I don't know what I was thinking earlier. Tommy would never like me. So, naturally, we do what we do best: we grab tubs of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, cocoon ourselves in blankets and have a Harry Potter marathon.

Minho is asleep by the time we've finished "Order of the Phoenix", but every time I close my eyes I feel guilty. I've never really lied to Tommy before, only denied that I had feelings for him. This whole charade with Minho is making me uneasy. It's made that bitch Teresa think that she can just waltz in and steal him, and if they were to go out, my life would be over.

I switch the TV off halfway through the sixth film. I'm not really watching it anyway. I get up and stretch. I really need to get home, so I grab my schoolbag and walk out, pulling out my phone. I scroll down my contacts and see "The Hottie". I roll my eyes and click on them. Obviously Minho has changed his name.

You:

Hey Minho, sorry I left. I had to get home. I'll talk to you tomorrow  about this whole fake-boyfriends thing.

I switch off the screen and open the door into my house. I dump the bag on the floor and collapse on the sofa. I'm physically exhausted, but my mind just can't switch off. Everything I think about just inevitably leads back to Tommy.

I wonder how he is. Does he miss me? Does he think about me as much as I think of him? Or am I just one of his countless friends? I slowly fall asleep, and dream of a boy with dark hair, and a smile that sets my heart on fire.

A/N:

Sorry about the seemingly random stuff, but it's all relevant in the end. Another really short chapter... apologies. The next chapter is where the drama happens.

Sorry once again for the completely irregular and utterly unacceptable uploading!

Rosa x