Chapter Eleven

Newt's P.O.V.

Just the two of us, sat in my bedroom at home as the light slowly filters through the window. We had been sat there for hours. I lived alone, after leaving home at sixteen and getting my own apartment. Tommy probably spent more time here than he did his own house!

He plays with my hair as I lie there, content. A thought strikes me - when are we actually going to tell people? He promised we would soon, and after three weeks of waiting for him to bring it up, I decide to ask him.

"Tommy?" I ask. He looks up at me. "Yeah?" he replies, looking worried. "When are we going to... you know, tell our families and stuff? Come out to the school? Hold hands in the park, and actually just be a couple?"

He stares at the ground. "Listen, Newt, there are people, who won't agree. People who will judge us, and be disgusted because we're two boys." Tears prick at the corner of my eyes as the insecurities return with a vengeance.

"But," he continues and I jerk up, surprised, "As long as you are willing to take that risk, I am too. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!" I pull him into a crushing hug.

"Oh my God, Tommy, you're the best!" I squeal. He smirks. "I know." I elbow him in the ribs, but he just laughs harder. He's so beautiful when he laughs. "I love you," I murmur softly. "You too, Newt," he says, stroking my hair.

"Why do you look so scared?" he asks me. "Cause any second now, you could leave me. Decide I'm not worth all the trouble," He looks shellshocked. "Newt, I'd never do that. I love you," He says, kissing me softly.

"Can we do it now?" he asks abruptly. "Huh? Do what now?" I reply, confused. "Tell our families. If you call your family, I'll call mine and we can get them to come here," Now? My mum and sister won't mind - they already know I'm gay, so it won't be that big news. Tommy, however, was always assumed to be straight. Finding out your son swings both ways... well, I have no idea how they'll react.

From the look on his face, he's thinking exactly the same thing.

Ten minutes later, the doorbell rings. Tommy's face pales considerably but he goes to answer the door anyway. Both families stand by the door.

"Hi Ms Greene, Mr Greene, mum, Sonya!" I say brightly to paper over the tenseness. His parents and my mum and sister look worried. "What is this about?" Mrs Greene asks. Tommy and I look at each other.

He mimes three, two, one and we both speak. "We're dating!" we say in unison, and both hold our breath and wait for the response. Tommy's mother breaks the silence.

"About time, too!" she laughs, pulling her son into a crushing hug. "You've been in love with him practically since you two met! Newt's mother and I are one step away from planning your wedding!"

Tommy and I burst out laughing, partially out of relief, and partially because the situation is so improbable. And then suddenly everyone is hugging everyone, and cups of tea are being made and everyone's just carrying on with life like nothing even happened.

And it's better than either of us could have hoped.

A/N:

This fic is nearly finished! The last chapter will be up soon, then that's it.

I have enjoyed immensely writing this, and thanks to anyone who reads this. Vote, comment, etc etc.

Rosa x