✧ Three | Ways to Escape Reality ✧

I subtly kicked the dirt away from my worn-out sneakers as the swing slowed down

I subtly kicked the dirt away from my worn-out sneakers as the swing slowed down. The breeze had also settled down and I sighed as I hopped off and picked up my wooden ukulele. I strummed and plucked a few chords for a bit.

Somehow, the old park just around the corner of the neighborhood was more comforting than my parent's home. The tree branches danced in the whistling wind while it towered over the children who were spread out across the park. Not only did the children play, but there were people with various mindsets who either walked endearing dogs or just strolled along the freshly laid pavement for their own enjoyment.

After what seemed to be about a brief two minutes, I decided to conclude the song I was playing with its final verse.

One final strum ended the song, and the wind pushed my thick hair back just a bit. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I began to kneel on the grass.

I reached for the leather case that housed the ukulele and slowly placed the instrument inside. I located the tiny zipper and zipped it back up. As I stood up, I wrapped my fingers around the leather handle that poked out. I swung it behind me, slipping my arms through the strap so I could wear it like a backpack.

Today went like this: went to the park, played ukulele, and went on the swing. The house was pretty hectic because of my younger twin siblings, and I just needed to get out for a bit. For some reason, I felt so weirded out by staying isolated. That portal that had appeared the other day was still playing a game of hide and seek. And I was definitely not the seeker. Even if the portal had not appeared since my first encounter with it, I was certain it would come around again.

Suddenly, a little stir from what I assumed came from the nearby shrubs caught my attention. I turned, following the alluring voice that belonged to curiosity, and before I knew it, I found myself wandering to the bushes. I swear to God if that's the freakin' portal. But obviously, it wouldn't be possible for that big of a portal to fit in some bushes.

The small bush began to rustle more, and something emerged from the inside. My gaze was glued to a figure that tumbled out into the open.

It was just a cat. I sighed as I let my head drop down to observe the animal. Well, that was a bit anticlimactic, I thought to myself.