✧ Seven | A Possible Connection ✧

"How did you get this?" I inquired hastily

"How did you get this?" I inquired hastily. The boy held onto the leather journal delicately as if he truly knew its precious value to me.

He set it down on the gap between us. I placed my hand on the cover and inhaled.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you where I got it."

The hand that I had placed on the diary slowly balled up into a fist. "Why can't you tell me anything?" I whispered.

"If it was much simpler I would tell you, but I would be risking a lot." His eyes glinted with what seemed like regret. From how I looked at him, he had things locked away in a secret vault of his mind.

There was a possibility that I could get the answer out of him. If I were to ask him enough irritating questions, then maybe he would accidentally spill.

So the question was, how did he get Lola's journal. To get to the how, I needed to find out the why. What was so important about the journal that he so desperately had to give to me. Was it so I felt more comfortable and at home here? That was all I could think about. Unless...

I picked up the journal and flipped through it. I haven't read every page, but I knew for a fact that every page I read I had thoroughly gone through, analyzing every word. Even if it sounded very tasking and unnecessary, it was something that I did.

When I had quickly flipped through every page, I opened up to one that I had never opened to. The last page. I never dared to read the last page of a story when I was still reading. It was just a stupid thing to do. Why spoil yourself and read the ending? It was just not worth it.

But this was different. And my hunch had been right. The final page had a short message. No date had been written but I only assumed it was recent. Possibly before she gave me her diary as a gift. What gave it away was how the message was addressed to me.

 What gave it away was how the message was addressed to me