viii: Ahsoka's Vision

Ahsoka was numb. After everything Barriss had put her through, Anakin had promised her that Barriss would be forced to atone for her actions. With Barriss locked up, Ahsoka felt free to explore her own path outside of the Jedi, but now, she felt... exposed. Vulnerable. Afraid.

"Barriss has to be the one we're looking for. All the pieces make sense. How else would she know about Maggie? What if she comes after me again? I can't survive that again, Master." Her eyes stung as she fought back tears.

"I don't know, Ahsoka. We're going to figure this out, okay? It's going to be okay. You're going to be okay. I don't care if I have to tear the galaxy apart. We're going to find her, and she's not going to lay a finger on you."

"It's not me I'm worried about," she said, glancing back inside. Barriss would be after everyone she cared about. If she knew about Maggie, did she know about Nyx too? She wiped her eyes and tried to steady her breath. "What are we going to do?"

She heard talking in the background on Anakin's end. Padme must've woken up. "Where are you right now?"

"I'm at a friend's apartment on the surface."

"Send me your coordinates. I'm on my way."

"No, you don't have to come get me. I'll be fine overnight."

"I have no doubt that should an issue arise, you'll be fine, but you'll be up all night worrying about it. I'm coming to get you."

She sighed. He was going to come get her whether she wanted him to or not, so she may as well make it easy on him. And he was right; even though she didn't need his protection, his presence would help her feel more comfortable. "Transmitting coordinates now. How long until you're here?"

"Not long."

"Okay. Thank you, Master."

"Of course, Ahsoka. See you soon."

She took a deep breath and stepped back inside. "Hey, Nyx!" She yelled.

"Yeah?" He popped his head around the doorframe of the bedroom.

"I think I'm actually going to head home. I have a ride on the way to pick me up."

"Aw, you sure?" He walked over to her. "You're more than welcome to stay as long as you like."

"I'm sure. Thanks for dinner. I'll see you tomorrow?"

He kissed her softly. "Of course."

She walked to the first floor of his complex and waited for Anakin. She watched as speeders passed by until what she recognized as a Republic speeder stopped in front.

"Hey, Snips. Hop on."

She smiled and did her best to stifle a laugh. Anakin must not have changed before coming to get her. He was wearing black sweats with a tan bathrobe, and his hair was going every direction except the one it should be.

"Hey, I came as fast as I could. I didn't have time to change."

She smiled. "Sure you didn't." She sat behind him and held on as he sped back to the Senate apartment complex. As they approached the building, her eyes were drawn to Lux's window a few floors below Senator Amidala's. What was he doing right now? Was he asleep? Or maybe he was back on Onderon. It didn't matter anyway. There was no way Barriss could know about his history with Ahsoka. Even Anakin didn't know until she told him. Or at least she thought he didn't.

Anakin parked the speeder by the balcony. Padme was waiting on one of the sofas for them. She smiled as they got off the speeder. "Look at you two," she said. "What a dynamic duo." Ahsoka could tell she was amused by the way Ahsoka's nice dress clashed with Anakin's pajamas.