xv: Unavailable

After cleaning up back at the Skywalker-Amidala residence, Ahsoka decided to pay Nyx a visit. Their last conversation hadn't gone particularly well, and he wanted to make sure they were okay. Even though she was more confused than ever about her feelings, she owed it to Nyx to at least try to make it right.

She put on the blue dress Lux had bought for her before they went to the ball on Onderon. He had always liked the way it looked on her, and she felt beautiful in it. Maybe some of that confidence would make an appearance when she tried to talk to Nyx.

When she arrived, he was just getting out of the shower.

"Hey, Nyx," she said, plopping down on his bed as he walked out of the 'fresher. "I was thinking we could spend some time together today. I know I messed up, and I want you to know that I'm with you and not anyone else."

"Thanks, Ashla." He sat down next to her and let out a heavy sigh. "What the kriff are you wearing?"

"A dress," she said.

He reached out and traced the muscles in her arms. "You really should stop working out. You'd look prettier if you didn't have these huge muscles there. Besides, you have me to protect you, anyway."

She felt any confidence she'd mustered shatter. Lux had always gone out of his way to compliment her appearance, but maybe he had been too blinded by love to see her as she really was. "Are you still mad at me?"

He was quiet, which Ahsoka found a little odd.

"You okay?" Ahsoka asked. "You seem tired."

"It's been a long day already. I don't really have time for this today. I'll see to you tomorrow."

Ahsoka was stunned. Of all the replies he could've given, she never would've seen that one coming. "Oh. Are you sure?"

He gave her a once-over. "I have a big project I have to get done by tomorrow for work, and I really need to finish that before I do anything."

"Okay," she said, kissing his cheek. "I have a free afternoon. Do you want me to help with your project? I have nothing better to do."

"Nah, I got it. It's super complicated stuff. You probably wouldn't understand it, anyway."

Whatever it was, she was sure her work would be more than satisfactory. That wasn't a battle she was going to win with him at the current moment, though, so she bit her tongue. "I guess I'll head out, then."

"Bye."

She slid off the bed and walked towards the door. Before she left the apartment, she turned her head in the direction of the bedroom. She sighed. "Bye, Nyx. Nice to see you, too."

If her boyfriend didn't want to spend time with her, she was sure she could find someone who would.

It wasn't long before she stood on the doorstep of her former lover. They were probably just going to talk. That's all she had wanted to do with Nyx, but she knew Lux would make time for her. He always made time for her.

She knocked softly on the door. Within moments, she was face-to-face with a woman she assumed to be Lux's assistant.

"I'm sorry. Senator Bonteri is unavailable right now," she said, a slight edge to her voice.

Ahsoka looked the woman head to toe. She was about her age, maybe a year or two older. Her blonde hair fell in delicate curls around her shoulders, and she wore clothing with the mark of Onderonian nobility.

"And who are you, exactly?" Ahsoka asked, her own attitude rivaling that of the woman's.

"What's it to you? I said get lost."

Ahsoka smiled. So she was going to be like that, huh? Two could play at this game.

She put her hands on her hips, moving her cloak in a way that accentuated the lightsabers fastened to her belt. "That's not gonna happen. I'm not leaving until I talk to him, so I suggest you let me pass."

Their eyes met, and Ahsoka didn't dare back down. After a few seconds, the woman's gaze, fell, and Ahsoka knew she had won. She smirked as the woman opened the door and let her pass. "See? That was painless, wasn't it?"

The woman rolled her eyes. "Make it quick. He told me he didn't want any visitors until after the gala."

Ahsoka shrugged. "Yeah, but that was before he knew I was coming."

She didn't bother waiting for the woman's response. She sauntered through the living area to Lux's bedroom. The door was cracked slightly, so she peered inside. He was standing by the mirror, fixing his belt.

She slid the door open and took a few steps inside.

"Hey," she said.

Lux jumped. "Holy... Ahsoka? What are you doing here? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're here, but you said in your message that–"

"Changed my mind," she said, cutting him off. "As it so happens, I'm in the mood to hang around some boring politicians and drink expensive champagne on someone else's dime. Does you offer still stand for the gala this evening?"

He kissed the back of her hand, and her heart skipped a beat. "But of course, milady."

"Perfect. Now there's just one problem: I have nothing to wear."

"That's not really a problem, sweetheart. You know I prefer it that way."

She rolled her eyes. Some things would never change. "Let me rephrase that for you: I need something to wear."

"In that case, I have just the thing!"

He walked over to his closet and pulled out a green dress. The green dress.

"You still have that?" she asked, surprised.

"'Course I do. You look hot as hell in it, so why wouldn't I keep it?"

She stifled a laugh. It always amused her when he said things like that. It just didn't match his slight accent and proper manners.

He handed the dress to her and went back in his closet for the shoes and accessories.

Ahsoka looked at the dress through the garment bag. It was exactly the way she remembered it, with the smooth fabric and subtle sparkle. She took off her shoes and her belt. Lux stood in the corner, absentmindedly watching her.

"Shoo!" she said, gesturing toward the door. "I have to change."

He reluctantly stepped outside his bedroom, closing the door behind him.

She slipped the dress on. Remarkably, it still fit. As she looked at herself in the mirror, she almost let herself forget about everything that had happened since she had last put that dress on. She wanted so desperately to have her life back as it was then. She was a Jedi, out on the front lines every day fighting for freedom. She had a loving and caring boyfriend who loved her just as much (if not more so) than she loved him. She had a family who would support her and have her back no matter what. Everything was as it should've been.

She opened the door, holding her dress up in the front. "Zip me up?"

Lux's hand brushed her skin ever so slightly. His touch was electric, sending a chill down her spine. When he was finished, he spun her around. "It looks just as good on you as I remember."

She felt her cheeks heat up. "You don't look too bad yourself."

After putting on her shoes and her lekku accessories, she linked her arm in Lux's and boarded a shuttle for the Senate building.