Special Friend

A/N

Go click that link if you're bored in the house bored. Or if yah wanna see a lowkey posie edit.

And yes i don't know why the chapter is called special friend...jk it's a reference from booksmart.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sure enough, Hope was right.
Penelope had been visiting their apartment a lot to hang out with Hope and when she didn't, the latter would go somewhere with her childhood friend.

It was a very new thing for Josie to see the antisocial Hope go out a lot with another person. And it was surprising that Penelope was able to go out a lot since she was a second-year college student. Surely being a college student meant that they have a lot of deadlines right?

But aside from that, Josie was being civil the whole time Penelope was there. She kept her promise to Hope and continued being partly friendly. Even though the girl kept on bugging Josie the whole time, she was still able to put on a smile. Or at least tried to.

Yeah, she was most definitely able to put on a smile while the two of them argued and argued and ARGUED.

Maybe that's the reason why Hope started not to hang out with her in their apartment.

But it's not my fault that Penelope keeps on being a dick to me. Josie thought.

As for her school life, everything was going great. The routine she had in her old school was slowly coming into practice again. For the past few weeks, she had been doing well in her studies. And even participating in extracurricular activities to get extra credit and to meet other people.

She had been getting closer with her friend group, getting to know them more, hanging out, all the things you do with friends.

----

The incoming days Thursday and Friday were special for the school. It was a holiday for them which meant that there were no classes or anything whatsoever. Because of this a lot of people planned to have parties or hang out with their friends on that day and on the weekend. But unlike those people, Josie planned on going back home to Mystic Falls to spend time with her family.

She had been planning to go back for a while now. But since it had only been a few weeks since she got to Whitmore, the busy school spirit kept her from missing her life at home.

It was Thursday evening when Josie had just came back from Lizzie's apartment. Josie thought that her sister would also be coming back but apparently, the school holiday was an opportunity for Lizzie to get her pile of work, given to her by 'pain in the ass professors', done.

Josie was now at her apartment watching a few videos waiting for her mom, Caroline, to go and pick her up. Caroline had already texted her about how she was a few minutes away. Naturally, she was surprised when there was a sudden knock on her door.

That was quick.

She thought that it was her mom until she opened the door and saw, leaning on the doorframe, was the girl who had been quite the bothersome for the past few weeks. Josie immediately plastered on a smile that she used on multiple people she wasn't fond of.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" She said with a much too wide grin.

"Wow, are you that happy to see me?"
Penelope smiled back.

And as quick as that she removed the too fake smile and replaced it with a frown. "Hope's not here, but please make yourself at home."

Josie went back to the living room while Penelope followed.

"I'm not here for her, I'm here for you."

"Me? Why me?"

Penelope sat on the chair across where Josie was seated. She was playing with the necklace she was wearing, all the while the silence of the empty house surrounded them.

"No, seriously why are you here?" Josie said breaking the awkwardness between them.

Penelope sighed and put her hand on her crossed legs. "Let's get to know each other more."

"Hmm..." Josie eyed her suspiciously.

"You're from Mystic Falls right and you're going home for the weekend?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Can I come with?"

Josie had an incredulous look on her face. "You're joking right?"

"Jojo this is the perfect time to be friends. Like people always say, 'A road trip is the best way to get to know each other.'"

This girl really was unbelievable. Fine, I'll bite. Josie thought and smiled. What better way to pass the time than to play dumb with another idiot.

"It's me, I'm people," Penelope said jokingly with a hint of childlike wonder in her eyes. "No, but really didn't Hope say we should be friends."

"Stand each other," Josie corrected. "Plus Lizzie will be coming with me." She lied through her teeth.

"No, she's not. Hope's hanging out at her apartment right now. I think they have plans for the weekend."

Penelope smiled like she was full of knowledge and Josie didn't like where this was going.

What plans? It really made her anxious since the last time they hanged out it turned into an argument.

Josie sighed, "Why can't you go with Maya?"

"Oh believe me I would but she's busy...all my other friends are as well." She said insinuating that the brunette wasn't really her first choice.

Josie explained that her mom was the one going to pick her up. She thought that this would at least be a factor that will discourage Penelope's plan. But much to her dismay it had the opposite effect and made her want to continue with it. It was the perfect opportunity to get to know the parent as well, Penelope had said.

Josie loved Hope. There was no doubt about that. They have been with each other in both of their darkest times so if Hope was so hell-bent on making the two of them be acquainted then yes Josie would make an effort. Even if her and Penelope's personality was so different from each other, she caved in to the road trip.

And if she actually thought about it, she and the raven-haired girl had been doing and saying stuff that made them irritated to the point where they wanted to tear each other's throats off. Other than needing a ride to Mystic Falls, Josie thought that Hope must have also been a part of Penelope's sudden interest in being friends.

As Josie was about to explain that she was only doing this for her best friend's sake and that she and Penelope would never work as friends, the door opened and there was her mom.

"Hey sweetie-" Caroline paused seeing whatever tension that was in the room. "Am I interrupting something?"

Josie shifted her attention from the shorter girl to her mom. "Nope, mom this is Penelope."

"Hi," Penelope greeted. "I'm Josie's newest special friend-"

Josie hit the other girl's arm.

Penelope flinched, "Nice to meet you, Mrs Saltzman."

"Nice to meet you too, and it's actually Mrs Salvatore." Caroline smiled, "You are a new friend since Josie hasn't gotten into the whole family history yet."

Penelope waggled her eyebrows at Josie to indicate that she wanted to know more about this family history.

The brunette dismissed this and told her mom that her newest but not special friend was coming along for the trip.

-----------
A/N

Guys i know this is a short chapter but eh. Lol jk. The next chapter will be a longer one with Josie's parents and stuff yey more headcanon background.

I'm so bored that honestly I should have written more...but i think going on twitter and yt is more productive.

It's 3am rn and Tiktok is eating my life...how about y'all how's life going?