8) Hospital Work

No one's POV
Liam went to his shift at the emergency department. At the office he took his doctor coat and went to the treatment room which was right next to the office. He only works at the emergency department on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Sometimes if he has shifts on weekends he'll work there on Saturday's as well but it only happens every three weeks.

Today was pretty busy. There were a lot of people at the emergency department but only three doctors and tons of patients. Liam tried to work as quickly as possible but it's very hard because he has to make sure that the diagnosis he made is correctly as the consequences would be fatal if they were wrong.

It was short before his lunch break as patient who was at Liam's age came into the room, complaining about chest pain.
To be honest he looked actually quite fit but they have to take their patients seriously.
Liam immediately checked his vitals and heart while asking the medical history of patient and if there are any family members with any heart diseases but he denied everything.

He took his blood to run some blood tests and put the man on an EKG. The machine measures the electrical activity of the heartbeat. It helps the doctor to check if the patient's heart is beating regularly and correctly. Liam could see some abnormalities here and frowned.

After the quick check up, he decided to send the patient to a MRI scan. It'll give the doctor more information about his patient's condition.

As he started to order the scan the patient suddenly lost conscious and his heart went into a shock.

"Damn.", Liam whispered under his breath.
The girlfriend of the patient who was standing next to him started to cry violently.
"What's happening?!", she panicked as tears were streaming down her face.
"Your boyfriend went into a shock. Don't worry he'll be fine. You may take a seat outside okay?", Liam tried to calm the woman down as he started doing a cardiac message. A nurse led go woman outside of the room to give the dictor some space. Those situations are the toughest.

"Could I get some more nurses here please. We need a defibrillator now!", he yelled. They have to act as quick as possible.

Liam ordered the nurse to continue the cardiac message while he intubates the man to get oxygen in his body and to protect his respiratory tract. Then he took the defibrillator and tried to revive the patient.

It took 5 shots to get the man's heart beating.
"We need to do an emergency MRI scan immediately. Could you call them we're coming now and we need a cardiologist. Tell him it's an emergency.", Liam told the nurse as he rushed the patient to the radiology station.

Fortunately the patient stayed stable. The cardiologist arrived soon and Liam told him the results of the scan and the blood tests.

"It looks like the man suffers from an congenital heart valve defect which needs to be treated with a surgery immediately. The patient might have never known about this condition as it gets worse over time and he might not had any symptoms when he was younger.", the Liam explained and the cardiologist agreed.

"We need to replace the defected heart valve now to protect any more demage of the heart.", the cardiologist said.
"Exactly. Are you going to take him to surgery now? I'll have to talk to his girlfriend because she's waiting outside crying.", Liam stated.
"Yes sure. We're going to talk again after the surgery is done.", the cardiologist replied before taking the patient into the surgery room.

Liam thanked him and went back to the emergency department. He took a breath before heading to his girlfriend to tell her what's wrong. Moments like these are the most challenging. The woman was still crying.
"Where's my boyfriend?!", the woman cried out.

"Deep breaths okay? Please try to not freak out too much. Your boyfriend is currently in surgery. He has a congenital heart valve defect but it's treatable. I talked to the cardiologist and he agreed to do the surgery right now because it's life-threatening. Don't cry your boyfriend will be fine. The cardiologist and the surgeon are one if the best doctors I know and they've done these types of surgeries loads of times.", Liam tried to calm the woman down.

Fortunately it worked she was still sobbing but thanked Liam. It hurt him to see people suffering but that was a part of his job.
He loves his job and he loves helping people but most of the times it requires a lot of hard work, especially emotionally.

"What a day.", Liam took a deep breath as he looked at his watch. It was 2 pm which means he has to pick up the boys from school. He sprinted to the doctor's and nurse's office to inform the other's that he's going to take a break now.
Then he went to his car and drove to Zayn's and Louis' school. He was half an hour late as it takes him about 20 minutes to arrive at their school.

Louis and Zayn were already waiting at the entrance of the the school.
"Daddy, where were you? You promised to pick us up in time.", Louis whined. He was very upset and disappointed as he and his brother got into the car.

"I know and I'm sorry. I just got an emergency before lunch break and I had to work a bit longer.", Liam explained and the boy didn't show any reaction. He just looked out of the window not bothering his dad.
"Louis dad has to work really hard you know. His job is very busy and sometimes he has to work longer than he actually planned.", Zayn tried to help his dad out, knowing how hard his job is.
The younger brother fowned but nodded.
"Yeah okay. Sorry daddy.", Louis gave in and apologised.

"It's alright honey. Let's go and visit Papa and Harry yeah?", Liam said, driving them to the location.
They arrived at the hospital soon and the dad took the boys to Harry's room.

"Hazza!", Louis ran yelling into the room, full of excitement to see his younger brother.
"Louieeee!", Harry smiled all over his face. He missed him all day. They both hugged each other tightly and began to chat.
Zayn and Liam entered the room after the small boy. They smiled by the look at the brothers.

"Hey Zayn, how was school?", Niall greeted his older son.
"It was okay as usual. Nothing special. How about your day? Pretty unusual I guess.", Zayn replied, looking around the room.

"Yeah obviously but Harry is doing a bit better.", Niall answered, smiling at his kids.
"I'm sorry guys but I've got to get back to work. I'm going to see you after my shift.", Liam spoke up. He felt very sad to leave his family. The feeling not being able to be there with them made his heart hurt but he had to take a lot of responsibilities at his job.

"Take care love.", Niall kissed his husband on his cheek.
"You too.", Liam chuckled and smiled before leaving the room.

Liam sprinted back to his workplace. He took care of some more patients who were fortunately not as ill as the one with the heart surgery. The most of the people had injuries which could fortunately be treated without any difficulties.

Meanwhile Harry and Louis were playing tog ether on the tablet. Zayn was listening to music and Niall was just on his phone. Everything was fine until Harry started to feel worse again. His stomach hurt again which made him nauseous. He put his arms around his stomach let out a whimper.

"Hazza? You okay?", Louis immediately noticed his brothers strange behaviour.

Author's note
Hey guys,
This chapter is more Liam based because I thought it would be interesting to see what he's doing. However I tried to make it as realistic as possible. Of course there are also other cases of emergency but I had to choose one because the chapter would be too long for more.
I wish you all a lovely day and night.
Stay tuned :)

~ L