10) Driving Around In The Dark

No one's POV
The next morning was pretty normal. Louis jumped out of his bed, Zayn packed this bag and Liam prepared their lunch boxes. Everything went as usual.
After breakfast the dad dropped his kids off at school and headed to the hospital.

"How are you baby?", Liam asked as he entered the room.
"Morning daddy! I'm good and you?", Harry answered excited to see his dad. Liam took the boy I his arms and kissed his cheek which made Harry giggle.
"Do you still feel sick love?", Liam asked the little boy. Harry shook his head and hummed a 'no'.
"That's good baby.", Liam smiled happily.

"How did the night go?", Liam turned his attention towards Niall who seemed to be pretty tired.
"It went well. Fortunately Harry didn't get sick. The doctor wasn't here yet. Maybe it's your luck and you'll be able to talk to him.", Niall replied as he rubbed his eyes.
"Yes that's fine. Are you okay darling? You look exhausted.", Liam said looking at his husband worried.

"Don't worry I'm fine. The hospital bed is just not comfy though.", Niall yawned.
"Maybe we can switch roles? I can spend the night with Harry and you'll take care of him during the day?", Liam suggested but Niall shook his head.
"You need to rest love. You're already working too much. I don't want you to collapse.", Niall answered giving his husband a little kiss on his forehead.

"But you're working a lot as well. Just look at you. You're doing so much. C'mon let me do it.", Liam said. Niall gave in and nodded.
"Okay but only this night.", he agreed.

Soon the doctor came in and Liam started a conversation with him immediately. He suggested to do some special tests to see if any infection caused Harry's symptoms and the doctor agreed on this since the other tests came all back negative.

Additionally Harry got prescribed an IV therapy to get minerals and vitamins into his body because he couldn't keep anything down. His fever was still very present and nothing seems to work.

The conversation with the doctor was quite successful which calmed the parents a little bit down.

As the doctor left Liam had to go to his work as his shift starts at 9 am. Today he was working at the orthopaedic station which was a bit further away than the emergency department.

Meanwhile Liam was doing all of his work, Niall played a few board games with Harry.
"Papa I'm so bored. I want to play football (soccer).", Harry complained.
"You have to get healthy first. Then we can play as much football as you want yeah?", Niall explained his son.
"But I want to play now.", the curly boy sniffled.

"Maybe we can draw some pictures for daddy?", Niall tried to keep Harry busy with smaller activities which luckily worked. The boy smiled and accepted the suggestion of his Papa.

The day went by without any news. Harry drew a lot of pictures for his dad and Niall helped him. Liam was taking care of different patients. Zayn and Louis were both busy with school.

Liam told the boys to drive to the hospital after school by bus since their school ends at 3 pm today and he can't take a break at that time. He's supposed to have a break at 1 pm which is now.

So Liam went to their office before leaving the station to visit his monkeys.
"Hello, I'm back.", he hugged his husband.
Harry immediately jumped out of his bed and took all the pictures that he has made.

"Daddy, look what I drew for you.", he showed his dad the pictures shyly, nervous for his dad's reaction.
"They look amazing baby. You're very talented. I'm proud of you.", Liam said surprised looking at the pictures.
Harry smiled happily and blushed at his dad's comments.

"Do you like them?", the curly boy asked.
"I love them. They're very beautiful. If you agree we'll put them on our fridge once you get discharged. So that everyone can see it.", Liam hugged his precious boy who was smiling all over his face.

"I'm happy you like them daddy. I drew them for you but Papa helped me.", Harry said as Liam took him on his arms.
"No that's not true. I did nothing. I just watched Harry working very hard on these and they turned out so amazing without any help.", Niall added feeling proud of his little artist.

"Thank you Papa.", Harry blushed.
"One day you'll be the greatest artist in the world and everyone will love your work.", Niall said and Liam nodded believing that Harry is going to make the world a better place just as Zayn and Louis.

Liam and Niall played a little with Harry before he fell asleep. His fever was still making the boy very tired.
"The last time they took his temperature it was at 38.6°C. Still pretty bad.", Niall whispered not wanting to wake the boy up.

"I hope the results are going to come tomorrow because I'm really getting impatient. I know that the most people here are working as fastest they can but Harry needs the correct treatment soon. He's walking around with a high fever got one and a half week. It can lead to serious damages. I wish I would have known this earlier.", Liam sighed, still not forgiving himself for not bringing Harry to the hospital earlier.

"Its fine darling. You shouldn't be hard on yourself. It's not your fault okay. Nobody could have known it. Look at doctor Stormer. He didn't have a clue what's going on until you gave him a hint this morning.", Niall cheered up the doctor.

"Thank you love. You're the sweetest.", Liam kissed Niall, pressing his lips softly on Niall's while closing his eyes.

"I just told you the truth. There's nothing to thank for. You're an amazing doctor, husband, father and son. Never try to convince yourself otherwise because that's not the truth.", Niall smiled at Liam, cuddling more into the older man.

"I love you so much.", Liam took Niall's hand, starring deeply into Niall's magical ocean eyes.
"I love you more.", Niall replied, looking into Liam's gorgeous hazel-brown eyes as he kissed him softly, pushing his lips gently against Liam's.

"I promise that I love you for the rest of my life.", Liam whispered into Niall's ears.
"I know.", Niall answered sassy, smiling at his husband.

The couple stayed like this for 5 more minutes until Liam had to get back to work.

Author's note
I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
Take care and see you hopefully in the next chapter🌻

~ L