11) Holding On

No one's POV
Zayn and Louis returned from school by bus. Now they're hanging out together with Niall and Harry while waiting for Liam who's still working till 6 pm.

"Hey are you okay mate?", Sam asked as he walks into their office. He's Liam's workmate who's also working as a doctor at the hospital.

"Yeah I'm fine. Why so?", Liam turned his face to Sam as he went through the patients files.
"You seem tired though. Are you sure?", his mate glanced him a suspicious look but Liam just nodded, continuing his work.

To be honest, he was so exhausted. He couldn't really sleep, eat or rest. All he was doing was worrying about Harry and trying to take care of Louis, Zayn and Niall. But at the same time he had to concentrate on doing his work. So many thoughts were running around in his head.

Time went by and it was 6 pm. Liam closed his eyes for a second, before taking his stuff to go to his family. The walk to the paediatric station seemed to take longer today than usual.

He took a deep breath, as he finally stepped into Harry's room, smiling at his kids and husband.

"Daddy!", Louis and Harry screamed, full of excitement. Liam went over to the boys and gave each one a kiss on their forehead.

"How was your day babies?", he asked them, as he gently touched Harry's forehead to check for the fever.
He was still warm but not burning like the days before.
"But daddy, we aren't babies anymore. We're big boys.", Louis replied in a sassy tone, rolling his eyes.

"Yes of course you are.", Liam giggled at the young boy and ruffled his hair.
"It was good. Louis and I played some games.", Harry said, looking at his dad with his adorable green eyes.

"That sounds amazing.", the dad smiled happily.
"How was school Zaynie?", he continued, turning his attention towards his eldest.
"It was alright. Exams are starting next week though.", the dark haired boy replied as he took off his headphones.

"Maybe Papa could help you at studying.", Liam suggested, looking at his husband, who was sitting next to Harry's bed. Niall nodded.

"Of course I could try but remember I'm an English teacher, so maths isn't my best subject.", Niall said, as he stood up, moving to Liam.
"Yeah I know. Thanks Papa.", Zayn continued typing at his phone.

"How about you, baby? How was work?", Niall hugged his husband tight, smuggling into his chest. Liam smiled and kissed Niall's forehead.

"It was fine. At least better than yesterday. There were still some crazy things going on but not as dramatic as in the emergency department.", Liam spoke, as Niall loosened his hug to stare into Liam's gorgeous eyes.

"Are you okay though?", Niall suddenly realised how tired Liam looked. His hair was messy, dark bags were laying under his eyes and his face was pale. The doctor just nodded.
"I'm fine, baby. Don't worry. Are you alright?", he asked in return.
"Uhm yeah. I'm good but you really look tired love. You should go home and get some rest.", Niall suggested, hating the tired look of his husband.

"I'm okay, Ni. Tomorrow I'm going to have a late shift at the emergency department again. So I won't be able to look after Zayn and Louis.", Liam explained.

"Its alright, darling. I can look after them. When exactly is your shift?", Niall offered.
"Thanks, love. That would be great. Unfortunately from 3 pm till 12 am.", Liam responded as he realised Niall couldn't take care of all of them at once.

"Wait, this doesn't work out because we have to look after all our kids. One of us has to stay with Harry 24 hours, in case something happens and the other one has to be with Louis and Zayn.", he stated.

"Dad we aren't that small anymore. We can take take of ourselves and you know I'll look after Louis.", Zayn interrupted his parent's conversation.

"I know that you're very mature and an amazing brother but I don't want to leave you with Louis alone at home.", Liam frowned and Niall hummed in agreement, thinking about a possible solution.

Harry and Louis just watched the three family members discussing as silence filled the room.

"Maybe you can ask your parents to take care of Louis and Zayn?", Niall's voice exclaimed after a few seconds.
"Yeah, that's a great idea. Let me call them.", Liam on took out his phone and dialed his mum's number. Luckily she picked up and agreed on taking care of Louis and Zayn which were amazing news for the couple as they were already stressed out.

After the call Liam sat down next to Niall, who immediately wrapped his arm around him. They watched Louis and Harry playing on Niall's tablet, while resting their heads on each other. Seeing their little sunshine laying in the hospital bed was the most heartbreaking sight for the parents. The small body looked so lost in the huge bed. They would do anything to make him feel better but right now there was nothing they could do, except to wait.

Author's note
Sorry for taking longer to update. I had loads of assignments which I needed to finish.
I hope you're having an amazing day.
See you🌻

~ L