4) The Hurt

~Tifa's POV~

"Do you think he would mind if I gave him some company?" I ask, standing from my spot beside Cloud.

"If he did he wouldn't show it," Lightning says in a flat voice. "But I wouldn't ask too many questions. We've both had a rough couple of days."

"I won't," I nod and walk toward the wall of a man. He's so tall! And I always though Barret was a giant. His pale trenchcoat stands out against the bright grass as he stands by the edge of a short cliff, lost in thought. I slowly approach him from behind, standing at his side to take in the view. If he notices me, he says nothing. I watch him for a moment before looking away. His eyes practically match his name, their icy cold color that seems warm and friendly at the same time.

"Great view," he finally says, no hints of the frustration he left with in his voice.

"Yeah," I nod. "I never really spent much time looking from here."

"Reminds me of home," he says a little quieter. "Do you know what an adamantoise is?"

"Mhmm."

"Those were always walking around. There were these things like wolves that were called Gorgonopsids that never seemed to go away. Too many of them if you ask me." I smile and listen to him talk about his planet. How could someone from another universe be called an alien? "This place actually reminds me of someone named Serah," he says, a little sadder now.

"Who was she?" I look up at him again. He shakes his head.

"Someone... Really important to me."

"Like a lover?"

"You're smart," he smiles at me. He looks so much better when he smiles.

"So what happened to her?" His smile falls. Oops.

"I'd rather not tall about it. It's kinda my fault anyway."

"Snow," I say firmly. I've had enough of this crap from Cloud before, I'm not about to let him do the same thing. "Whatever happened was probably not your fault, and blaming yourself isn't going to make anything better. Okay?" He nods and looks back out at the plains. "Hey."

"What?"

"Don't be like Cloud. He got all depressed after Aeris and Denzel died. I'd hate to see another friend of mine suffering from self loathing."

"Who's Denzel?"

"A homeless kid we took in. He and Cloud both had a bad disease called Geostigma. We found the cure and thought that Denzel was okay, but a week later he had an attack that killed him. That's why Cloud likes Hope so much."

"Must've been hard on you," he looks over and I will myself not to cry.

"I guess. He was like my own kid." I'm suddenly enveloped in two big arms.

"Well don't end up like either of us crazy blondes then, huh?"

"I'll try," I laugh, accepting his hug. He smells so good... What the heck, Tifa?!

"So you and Cloud," he pulls away with a smile. "You two together?"

"Nah," I wave my hand. "I liked him at one point and we tried things, but he really only loved me as a sister and he was just some childhood dream to me, so now we're just friends."

"Hmm," he nods. "So why were you guys out here?"

"Just the annual get together," I grin over at the Highwind. "Everyone's always so busy that we have to set a date that everyone is free on. I'm surprised Vincent even showed up. He doesn't exactly like a crowd."