5) The Demons

~Fang's POV~

I study the stars from where I lay on the ground. I've never needed much sleep, and after sleeping for centuries, I really shouldn't need it at all. These are the same stars I viewed at home, only at a different angle. If I look hard enough, I can see the tale the stars tell about the battle between Odin and the Shiva sisters. I can also see the galaxy that sparkles bright greens and blues every once in awhile back in Pulse. The silent man next to me pokes at the burning wood in the fire, the flames slowly fading out as the minutes pass. "You're gonna need more logs for that, mister," I say boredly, bouncing one of my crossed legs.

"You'll be alright here alone?" He stands.

"Who says I'm alone? I'm coming with, you moron," I grin, rolling to my feet, spear in hand. "I haven't seen any action since we've gotten here, and the most gore I've seen was while Spiky was attention to dissect a deer."

Vincent remains silent, leading the quarter mile walk to the woods. Every so often, he would have to shoot a monster that got too close, and always in the same spot on the forehead. He's a pretty good marksman for someone who remains so still.

"Cmon Vincent! I can hold my own in battle, just let me try!"

"Fine," he shrugs, holstering his gun as a pack of wolves near. There's close to eight of them. Well thanks buddy. Nice to know you trust my skills already. I smirk and give my weapon a sharp jolt to bring out the twisted red prongs at the ends.

"You're mine!"

Slashing at the animals, I manage to get four down before one get a bite out of me. Instead of yelping and crying like a wimp, I yell out some colorful words from the ancient Gran Pulse language and kill it with one blow. The last three also manage to claw at me, but they're dead before too much damage is done. Then I turn to Vince, an idea forming in my head. The bring my spear up and swing the pole part at him. He quickly raises his golden claw to parry the blow and raises an eyebrow.

"You could've warned me, you know."

"Am I that unpredictable?" I smirk, rolling behind him to slash again. He avoids it with a perfected front flip, a challenging look in his eyes.

"Rather the opposite, friend." Annoyed that he even thought of me as predictable, I rush forward and he moves, right where I wanted him to. My spear swings out and knocks him to the ground and I pin him down with my body, faces inches apart.

"You were saying?" Suddenly, I'm dizzy and blinking and his head is looming over mine, a sly smile on his pale face.

"That you are a very predictable person." Then he stands. My face is warm and flushed, but I blame it on the battling, not on the fact that a vampire was shoving his face all up in my bubble.

"Let's just get the wood before I kill you, Vampire." He scoffs and gathers the logs that he needs up in his arms and before following me back to camp. As he feeds the dying fire, I cast occasional weak water spells on my spear to clean the wolf blood off. I was always a terrible magic user, and now isn't an exception. I constantly miss the weapon or cast it too strongly so that It splashes me in the face.

"I hate magic," I growl, setting my spear aside. Vincent says nothing, only continues to put dry sticks into the flames. "Oi! Vincent! I'm bored, tell me a little about yourself."

"What would you like to know?"

"I dunno. Your past maybe? From all I've heard so far, you all have a pretty interesting story."