6) The Deadly Savior

~Fang's POV~ (YES, I KNOW IT WAS HERS LAST CHAPTER :P)

Cid Highwind. He's a special one. Kinda reminds me of myself, though I don't swear nearly half as much as that man. The pilot snarls something through his clenched teeth and lights a cigarette, kicking at the metal floor.

"Dang crew's too slow," I hear him mutter. Raising an eyebrow at Vincent, I watch Vanille gaping at the view from the large window in the front of this huge thing.

"Is he always like this?"

"Mostly."

"Must be annoying." Nothing. Really? How can I get him to talk? "I have a pet dragon." Too true. No response. "Snow has three eyes." Nope. "I have a big butt! Wanna see?!" The last one I yelled, but he merely raised one dark eyebrow at me. I groan. "Why don't you ever talk?"

"Why would I waste words toward such trivial matters?"

"So I'm just wasting your time then?" I narrow eyes at him and cross my arms. I can almost see his mouth open and then shut again.

"That is not what I said."

"But it's what you implied."

"No, I simply..."

"Watch out Valentine! She's gonna poke ya with her stick!" Cid chuckles. I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Not if I can gore you with it first, old man." He narrows his eyes.

"Fang," Vanille scolds. "Don't threaten our new friends!"

"Yeah Fang," Cid sneers. I lower my lance and sweep his feet out from underneath him.

"I never did like anyone with the name Cid," I scoff, walking proudly toward Vanille. Before I turned, I could clearly see the amusement twinkling in those crimson eyes. Good.

I join my friend's side and look down at the ground. We're traveling over to an island that has a village that caught my attention. Mideel. The jungle sounds like something I'd want to explore for maybe a couple days. I warned Vanille, and she said she'd be fine. Light wants me to keep my phone ready just in case Avalanche is out to get us, and Hope told me to try and get some more info on this place, maybe some good stories out of the oddballs I'm with. Hate to break it to you, kid, but Vinnie ain't saying anything while I'm around.

"Get off my ship before I do it manually," Cid commands when we reach the edge of the island.

"I don't think you'd want to try that, Shorty," I say cockily before leaping out of the ship.

"Fang! Are you crazy!" Vanille shrieks after me. Psh, we're only a couple hundred feet up! I spin around and flick two fingers off my temple playfully before turning to land on my feet easily, catching my spear moments later. I hear a thud to my right and see Vampy taking the fall quite easily as well, though who wouldn't with shoes that pointy. Vanille peers down at us nervously, reaching one foot toward the first ladder step. Suddenly, someone pushes her from behind and she screams, plummeting toward us. My eyes widen, and I nearly throw my lance to skewer Cid through the head. She's easily caught by Vincent and set to her feet, panting and shaking with fear.

"Thought you'd be used to it after all those crazy falls with Light," I half tease as she clings to me.

"I had a magic device to catch me then," she squeaks.