23) The Cold

~Cloud's POV~

A knock on the door wakes me up. Knock knock knock. Knock knock knock. Stop knocking... Someone throwing a shoe at my head gets me up, and I groan, stretching my arms over my head. My back cracks and I grimace, stumbling toward the door in the darkness. Are you kidding me...

"Reeve?"

"Yes, sorry about waking you up, it's just that you all were supposed to get going at eight and it's nine thirty..."

"Shoot," my eyes widen. Cid would eventually get impatient and just leave without taking us. I don't blame him, Shera's got her hands full enough without him, and he can't be gone too long or she starts to worry.

"I managed to keep Cid busy with repairing the fridge in the cafeteria, but he'll have to check his watch sometime."

"Yeah, thanks so much, Reeve," I nod gratefully before closing the door and flicking on the light. "Guys, get up! Cid's gonna leave without us!"

"Good for him," Hope groans, burying his face in his pillow. Lightning sighs and stands, shrugging her white vest over her brown, sleeveless turtleneck, and straps her weapon holder to her leg. I yank Hope's blankets away and throw them across the room, strapping my sword to my back and lacing my boots up.

"Bye Hope," I say, heading toward the door. He groans again and stands, already in his clothes, and shoves his shoes on. His silver hair is messier than usual and the bandana around his neck is twisted at an awkward angle. Rolling her eyes, Light grabs her Blazefire Saber and puts it in its holster, brushing past me to leave the room. I raise an eyebrow at the reengage in front of me and he shrugs.

"Bout dang time," Cid growls as we appear in his airship. "I was only givin' ya five more minutes."

"Yeah, sorry about that," I frown. "Reeve had to come get us."

"Well next time I ain't waitin'," he snaps, turning to order his crew around. Lightning raises an eyebrow at me and I shake my head.

"He's always like this."

"I'd have kicked his butt to the moon by now," she sighs.

"I know," I chuckle. Cid impatiently waits for the engine to start before yelling and cursing some more.

"Hey Hope," Lightning crosses her arms. "Next time set your alarm, will you?"

"Maybe," he smirks, cocking his head to the side. "Or maybe you could do it."

"I don't have that snazzy watch," she points out. I laugh and bump my shoulder against hers.

"You could always use your snazzy phone." She opens her mouth to protest and I cut her off. "And don't bother lying. Snow showed me how."

"Stupid idiot," she growls.

"What?" I laugh harder.

"You heard me," she scowls. Hope even has to hold back a slipping laugh by clapping a gloved hand over his mouth.

"Sorry, geeze!" I hold up my hands. She rolls her icy blue eyes and smiles a little, softening her usually hardened expression.

"Don't you mean 'My apologies'?"

"Don't make fun of Vince," I roll my eyes. "He's just... Special."

"More like the most shy man I've ever met," she rolls her eyes. "Doesn't talk. Hangs out in the dark corner most likely fantasizing about shooting all of us and swimming in our blood. Has those freaky bloody eyes."