CHAPTER FIVE - MARIGNY

Amelia Greene -

The boys and I all took a reprieve in a single house. Zussman and Daniels are upstairs, while Aiello, Stiles, and I are downstairs.

But, Zussman invited me up to the second floor as we're the only ones awake. I never really slept, anyway, so it wasn't difficult to stay up. I accepted because the conversation would keep my mind from going places it shouldn't.

It's a mess. Papers, debris, and possessions are thrown about. Half of the wall is also gone, due to explosions. It gives us a clear sight of the night sky and the many explosions that continue to rock it.

There's never peace. Somewhere, there's wreckage happening. Always. But when I look directly up above us, I can see the stars and remember the clear sky idea.

I pulled myself together soon after my breakdown in this very house. No one should see me like that, it was embarrassing enough. We have to head out tomorrow, too, and I have to stay on my A-game.

Our sore and bruised bodies did not have the time to heal like before. We'd have to run with tight calves and thighs, re-injuring wounds that hadn't been begun to heal yet.

Zussmans awake because he's upset about Pierson. He's always been hard on him, but I guess today pushed him over. He wants to show him he's ready and healed, though I don't see the shame in rest.

Physically, he isn't. From the way he's sitting, I can tell his side is acting up. I frown because there's nothing I can do to help, and he'll deny it if I ask. He tries to keep his mind off of it by gazing out to the stars, looking quite handsome in the midnight lighting.

His eyes flicker to me as I run a hand through my hair. It's loose, I decided to sleep without it tonight. "Your hairs long."

I smile, "I know. Surprised it's still healthy."

I look back up to the night sky. It's gorgeous, with zero pollution due to the rural area. Stars twinkle against the black layout, and moonlight bathes us in its comfort.

"You look like that and wonder why I flirt with you."

I turn back to Zussman. "Like what?" I'm flustered because he meant something that I didn't get.

He chuckles, smiling softly. "I don't know, you look at the simplest things like the sky and make it seem like you're looking at a masterpiece, a DaVinci. Forgive me if you don't appreciate this, but you're beautiful."

My cheeks get hot as I look to the ground, smiling and shaking my head. Zussman was . . he's a flirt for sure. But he makes me blush every time and I think that's what encourages him.

"The sky isn't simple," I reply in a joking tone, "but thanks for the compliment. Though if you want one to land with those Parisian girls you're waiting for, try getting straight to the point. Language barrier and all."

He lets out a small laugh, though it must hurt his side. "Thanks for the help. Despite your looks, I do tend to forget you're a girl."

"It's intended," I shrug, "how far would I get if I was allowed to bat my eyelashes?"

He grins slyly. "Pretty far."

I roll my eyes, flipping him off. Zussman wormed his way into my heart with these harmless remarks. He's the perfect example of charm, though having a deeper side to him he doesn't let show often.

Like now. The vulnerability in the way he so obviously thinks about too much when he should be resting. The resistance to getting some sleep due to thinking you're not doing enough. There's always something particularly heart shattering about watching the one who emits such a confident aura show that they are human, too.