CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN - FOUR

Amelia Greene -

I've always hated this type of silence.

The exhaust from the trucks keep us warm while we slowly advance to the gate. It's quiet inside, meaning Zussman and Daniels haven't been spotted yet.

Word has been unable to get to this base about our ambush; though they should know in a a short while when their men fail to arrive. Everything about our attack is unexpected. This has to work in our favor.

But even if most of the base is asleep, I clearly spot movement inside. We're drastically out numbered. Back up is a few minutes behind, but we have to pull a flawless blitz attack fast.

Without Pierson's input, I move up to the gate to quickly set the explosives. My fingers move fast despite their stiffness, their smaller frame making it easier for me to handle the tiny wiring.

"Greene," Pierson suddenly hisses, "get back here!" I hurriedly finish the placement and scurry back out of sight from the gate; German patrol passes by moments later.

I glance at him. Nerves visibly shake his hands and voice. He could pass it off as the cold but I know better.

"They should be at a vantage point by now," Pierson says in a low voice, everyone hanging onto his every word. "Get ready."

A moment passes. My thumb twiddles over the button in my hand, too much power in my palm. Pierson deliberates the correct moment, the words right on the tip of this tongue.

"Now!" I press the detonator hard, wincing as the gate explodes inwards, sending burning hot metal flying. "Rain fire!"

I toss the detonator aside and aim my weapon. An alarm begins to blare as the base is alerted, and I hear yells and see them scrambling for cover. I remember the panic that we felt when we were ambushed, but they're much better prepared than we were.

I fire immediately, feeling the fierce retaliation we were about to face. This was in no way a small base. We were heading right into a large portion of the German army.

Daniels and Zussman are nowhere to be found but that's what we want. Snow flies up in the air with the Germans getting a grip on their response. Those who were asleep awake with a rough alarm that echoed through the thick forest.

I unpin and toss a grenade out as far as I can. Dirt, snow, and blood rain down soon after. Our platoon waits for the next command, bunching up in varied positions. Aiello swears next to me, eyes pinched in an unquenchable thirst.

"Push forwards!" Pierson yells out. At once, we all begin to advance. I hear snipers cry out and pray that it's Daniels and not the opposite side. Seeing us move up, the Germans move back, like steps of a bloody tango.

"Greene, on your left!" I look in that direction and seeing a rifle aimed directly at me. I fall back a few steps before retaliating, dodging the next few bullets. He falls dead, but, one of his bullets rips through my jacket and grazes my arm.

I hiss as the sting. It's nothing bad, though, so I raise my weapon back up and start up again. It's only a bit of blood. "Get to the first truck!"

Pierson, Stiles, me, and two others sprint ahead to the truck, knowing it's fully loaded with copious amounts of ammo and explosives. I drop a knee a reasonable distance away, covering them as they light it ablaze. It bounces as it explodes and the heat licks the back of my neck harshly.