CHAPTER THIRTY SIX - FINDING ZUSSMAN

Amelia Greene -

"Get to cover! Go go go!"

"I'm hurt! Help!"

"Fuck, get down, half-track!"

"Stukas!"

"Greene! Greene! Help!"

"Greene, move, move, move!"

"Greene, Greene!"

I gasp as I breach from water, sitting abruptly up. My breathing heavy and off, and my vision is blurry from so quickly moving. Too familiar of a night.

Tears fall down my face, but this time, a gentle light comes from a lamp, keeping me out of the darkness. But I don't completely recognize my surroundings.

"Hey, hey," comes a gentle shush from beside me. I feel a warm hand touch my chin and turn me towards them. "You're okay."

My breathing slows as I realize it's Pierson. He's awake, too, looking at me with worry in his eyes. I close my eyes and fall into him in relief, glad I'm not alone.

But it doesn't make sense at first. Why am I with him?

"Why am I here?" I ask in a small voice, calming but still confused.

"You fell asleep," he answers, "I've been up working." I glance at his watch, seeing its nearly midnight.

A frown turns the side of my lips down. "It's late." He shrugs, still stroking my cheek with his thumb. He's able to reach me from his desk, but it's clear he abandoned his work as soon as I thrashed in my sleep.

"It's work. I'll be okay."

I'm thankful my terrors are a little different this time. Not the same damn repetition of Kasserine. I don't know how Pierson would handle it if I told him that was waking me.

His hand moved and runs through my loose hair. Everything he does effectively relaxes me, and my breathing finally returns to normal. "Did the boys not realize?"

"No, they came looking for you. By the time they realized you might be with me you were already asleep. They didn't wake to wake you but tossed me some threatening looks."

I laugh, picturing the scene. I can't imagine the boys finding the confidence to threaten Pierson, regardless of how civil he's been lately.

"There only warnings. Don't make them have to act on it." He rolls his eyes, holding my hand as I stand.

"If I ever get beat by Stiles, please shoot me so I don't have to live with the memory."

"You're dramatic," I say in between fits of laughter, coming to stand behind him, resting my hands on shoulders. "Stiles is well built. It won't be too embarrassing."

"Stiles reads poetry in his free time."

"Stiles is a well educated man, high school drop out."

"I joined the military, which gave me a head start in getting above you."

"Yeah, illegally. I could get you arrested."

My hands ease down his chest and the side of my face rests against his, and it feels like something I've longed for. "I know how to break out of handcuffs, Greene."

It feels like home.

"That doesn't really help your case." I don't have to look at his face to know he's glaring, and chuckle. A thought crosses my mind that I've been meaning to bring up for a while. "Can I ask you something?"